need help, please, with new application

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fencebldr

Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Tippecanoe IN
Moving my fta dish since ewtn is now on Gal 15. I'm going to be 200 feet away now and was told I'd need R11 cable. I've seen in-line amplifiers, will those work? I'm hoping to put a tv in my pole barn and split the signal into the house from there.The EWTN message also says that analog service ceases this Nov. Do I need a new receiver? presently have openbox, less than a year old. I don't know much about all this except I need to get ewtn back in. Really appreciate some advise and thanks in advance!

>> tv in my pole barn (Does this mean the openbox receiver is in the pole barn? And the run from there to the dish is 200ft?) and split the signal(The LNBF coax, or the output from a modulator hooked to the receiver?) into the house << With good quality RG-6, 200 feet should work. I take it this is a fixed dish? It should say DVB on the Openbox, That's Digital. Analog (only)receivers wont say DVB.
Coaxial Cable Attenuation Calculator shows ~6db more attenuation, @2500Mhz, with RG-6 than RG-11 so if an amp is needed it doesn't need that much gain. Just make sure the amplifier headroom (compression level) will not be exceeded. (Take the figures on that page as typical. I'm sure some cables are better, some worse.)
Catholic Television Network | EWTN says C band only. How big a dish, as some [IIRR] were having trouble with it on 6 ft C band dish. 10ft recommended.

The openbox will get it fine
200 feet you should be OK and good RG6 works fine

What size dish? THe new spot has been a bugger on a 6 footer to get

Good strong signals on 91c-band DVB, with a moderate sized dish ( 8' or so) and good cable you probably won't need any amplifiers , nor RG11 cable. My dish is probably 135' feet from the receiver, no problems with EWTN.

Good strong signals on 91c-band DVB, with a moderate sized dish ( 8' or so) and good cable you probably won't need any amplifiers , nor RG11 cable. My dish is probably 135' feet from the receiver, no problems with EWTN.

EWTN is no longer on 91W.....they dropped it at end of June
They are now only on 133W

Really appreciate all the 'outstanding' responses and forgive my lack of details.
This is a new install, existing doesn't work due to line of sight issues for gal15, using an old winegard 7.5 foot mess dish that was free and will be stationary on galaxy 15, I hope. Plan on routing the cable into pole building, ~100feet, for radio channels and ewtn radio. From there I hope to route a cable feed into the house, another 100 feet. Presently have an openbox, user manual supplied says sg hd pvr800 but the actual box says nothing but openbox on it and manual is horrible, my opinion. I was planning on a receiver at each location with a switch? in house since existing setup still works on a few channels, secular. I'll probably swap my lnb, DMX741 wsidigital, and receiver around to see if I can even get this to work prior to spending money on stuff I'm not real educated on. I noticed that the latest skyvision c-band sat. data shows alot of mpeg-4 and wonder if I should go that route for this?
Thanks again for everyones help!

Not sure what you are asking at the end, but the receiver you have will do mpeg4. The EWTN channels are not mpeg4, so you are good to go on the receiver even an older one will receive them.

EWTN is no longer on 91W.....they dropped it at end of June
They are now only on 133W
SHut my mouth! I just scanned it yesterday and now I see they aren't there any more-it was just old channels still stored in the receiver. They were the last several channels in the list, I didn't realize it.

from the EWTN website

• Galaxy 17 Digital Service ceases on June 29, 2012. Beginning at 1:00pm EST on March 1, 2012, EWTN, EWTN Español and EWTN Canada will become available on Galaxy 15, Transponder 5. On June 29, 2012, more than four months from now, our transmissions on Galaxy 17 will terminate. This means that we will provide a dual illumination period for EWTN, EWTN Español and EWTN Canada from March 1, 2012 until June 29, 2012.

Dont feel bad Turbo. The other day I went to aim the big dish and wondered why I wasnt getting 91 locked in. I was trying to use EWTN's TP ;)

Is there a 'dummies' book for FTA? I'm lost when it comes to the in-line amplifier answers and such. Openbox manual doesn't mention mpeg-4, this a firmware thing?

The Openbox S9 thru S12(and climbing) is DVB-S and S2, Mpeg 2 & 4, HD. Mpeg4 might be listed as H-264 video.
I wouldn't worry about the inline amp. Don't think you'll need one.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts