Need help pointing dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

billsimard

Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
Hello,

I can not seem to find any satellites with my 1 meter dish.

It has a universal LNB 9.5 & 10.6 I think are the L.O's

I am trying to point at Atlantic 1 and Hispasat 1C

The dish is mounted to a pole vertically and the LNB is at the 0 degree mark.

I am setting the elevation and scanning back and forth, but no signal.

Do I need to adjust the skew by turning the LNB ? or can I adjust it in the receiver?

I have a pansat 3500.

When I have installed DSS dishes before I never had to make any kind of skew adjustment. Was this because it was circular polarization? Is linear different ?

What should I set the LNB degree at, or what should I set the skew at in the receiver?

The current settings in the receiver show as zero, 45, or -45 depending on whether it's V or H.

Can a universal LNB's skew be adjusted? I thought they were just V or H depending on voltage.

I know this is a lot of questions, but I've been at this for a month and I should have been able to find at least on sat.

Will a DSS meter that I used for DSS dishes be able to pick up the linear sats ?

I am in NY zip code 12047

Thanks everyone for the help.

Bill

If you don't have a motor on the dish , you will need to set the skew for whatever satellite you are trying to pick up. And make sure the satellites you're aiming at have KU frequencies if you don't have a c-band dish.
There's a calculator on sadoun's website I believe, check the link at the top of the page. Put in your location and pick the satellite. Don't say what kind of dish you have or lnb, but it can prob be skewed by twisting the lnbf in it's holder. Find a known channel on the satellite you're on, and put that into the receiver, and you should have better luck aiming.

Hello,

I can not seem to find any satellites with my 1 meter dish.

It has a universal LNB 9.5 & 10.6 I think are the L.O's

I am trying to point at Atlantic 1 and Hispasat 1C

The dish is mounted to a pole vertically and the LNB is at the 0 degree mark.

I am setting the elevation and scanning back and forth, but no signal.

Do I need to adjust the skew by turning the LNB ? or can I adjust it in the receiver?

I have a pansat 3500.

When I have installed DSS dishes before I never had to make any kind of skew adjustment. Was this because it was circular polarization? Is linear different ?

What should I set the LNB degree at, or what should I set the skew at in the receiver?

The current settings in the receiver show as zero, 45, or -45 depending on whether it's V or H.

Can a universal LNB's skew be adjusted? I thought they were just V or H depending on voltage.

I know this is a lot of questions, but I've been at this for a month and I should have been able to find at least on sat.

Will a DSS meter that I used for DSS dishes be able to pick up the linear sats ?

I am in NY zip code 12047

Thanks everyone for the help.

Bill
First, set your receiver LNBF setting to universal.
You only able to see Hispasat 1C sat
Your look angle at new york city is about 25 degree ands should point at south-east
Your LNBF skew setting at about 8 and 2 o'clock position
Go to LyngSat - Lyngemark Satellite and check some fta TP and use those info.
On your receiver go to installation section and select hispasat 1C, find an active TP use the on receiver tp search to find the satellite
You may need to adjust the dish elevation while you search the sat and slow turn you dish
Your lnbf strengh number may go up once you close to a satellite and once you hit the right satellite you will see the signal bar turn to green or other color and the number should by pass over 60 then you get a solid lock on the satellite

the LNB coax connector should be near 8:00 as noted above

check out thelist for a list of active transponders for that satellite :)

Skew is very important when working with a fixed dish and since the skew is alot for Hispasat it is imperative to skew the LNB

Is the LNBF supposed to get hot ?

I'm using a GeoSatPro LNBF universal 9.75/10.6

It came with the dish. I noticed the F connector is getting hot.

Is this normal?

I still have not been able to get any signal from any sat.

I'm wondering if the LNBF might be bad.

Also, I'm pointing the dish through a window.

I figured I would lose a little bit of signal, but the glass does not stop GPS satellite signals, so I figure it should pass Ku signals.

Am I wrong in thinking that?

Is there a better LNBF that can do the full range from 10.7-12.75 ?

I looked at the C/Ku combo unit and that only does 11.7-12.75 and 3.4-4.2

I did not realize there were so many different types of LNBF's.

What is the difference between a standard LNBF and a Uninversal LNBF ?

It looks like there are standard and universal LNBF's that only cover the 11.7-12.75 range. They only list one L.O.

Why would they make something like that ? It can only see half the satellite. There must be a reason, but I don't know what it is.

BTW, I set the skew properly and the elevation is correct, but still no signal. Tried 2 receivers with no luck. The only part left to swap out is the LNBF, but I don't want to buy another one if there is nothing wrong with this one.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bill

Also, I'm pointing the dish through a window.
Most window glass will stop the signal cold. There are some plastics that will let it pass.

I figured I would lose a little bit of signal, but the glass does not stop GPS satellite signals, so I figure it should pass Ku signals.

Am I wrong in thinking that?
Yes

Is there a better LNBF that can do the full range from 10.7-12.75 ?

I looked at the C/Ku combo unit and that only does 11.7-12.75 and 3.4-4.2

I did not realize there were so many different types of LNBF's.

What is the difference between a standard LNBF and a Uninversal LNBF ?

It looks like there are standard and universal LNBF's that only cover the 11.7-12.75 range. They only list one L.O.
Either a standard or universal will work. The universal will pick up an extra satellite or two from the Caribbean IF your are in the Southeast USA.

Why would they make something like that ? It can only see half the satellite. There must be a reason, but I don't know what it is.
The universal is used more in Europe - and the Standard is used more in the USA. The Standard is easier to use when switching multiple satellites.
Give some reading to the FAQ section of the forum and this will start to become clear.
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)