Need Help pointing HD Turbo dish

Strawboss

Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Odem, Texas
Moved to ZIP 78370 from 77957. Left the HD turbo dish but have another exact same I bought locally. Trying to use the TV setup pointing screen but unable to receive any thing except #129 and info says it's the wrong Sat. The screen lets you change dish types of 300, 500 & Super. My "Box" says VIP222K. I'm not sure which elevation and skew settings to use. Or which Satellite to aim at (enter in the pointing screen). Can someone please help me.

Thanks boba, tried that yesterday and they said they don't do that for RVs (travel trailer). I used to change mine a lot when traveling, but was direct tv and really simple. I just don't understand all I know about this system. I was able to get some programing this morning. Carefully plumbed my mast. Replace RG cable with higher quality stuff. My last location settings were skew 75 and angle 55. I added 1 to each, used 76 and 56 and got a 87 signal strength on Satellite 119. But I don't think I am going to get all the channels I am supposed to get, rather, don't think I will pick up signals from other satellites. Just too dumb. Well, at least we are getting some channels. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Well, I kept messing with it and finally got Satellite 110 to lock on along with #119. I was really excited about that thinking I would get most of the TV channels now. Turned out that 121 was also locked on so I'm back to having everything that I should. Hope I don't have this much trouble next time I move. I can't afford to call for service every time I travel with the RV. Guess I learn as I go. It would help if I understood just how the signals are picked up and what needs to be done with the receiver box if anything. I'll tell you this, once you get a signal, you don't move that sucker too much at a time.
If I get really good, think I'll write a book for full time RVers like myself. Ha.

Good idea papalittle! I'll do that. I also found the URL (below) recommened by Thomas Faust (Dish Network customer support) that lets you insert a small icon on a Google map. You select the address and then the satellite. You will see the azimuth, angle and skew needed for that satellite and also a line drawn on the map showing the direction of the satellite and any obstacles in it's path. Thank You Mr. Faust!
As I said, I now have everything setup just fine and working great but maybe someone can help me with this question. When a skew setting, say 36.5 degrees is given and an arrow shows the direction to spin the disk is clockwise, does that mean you start at 90 degrees and turn it to the right 36.5 degrees?

http://www.dishpointer.com/

Last edited:
Neither the dish types on the screen nor the receiver type have anything to do with aiming the D1000.X dish.

You need to know the exact model of dish you have, D1000, D1000.2, D1000.4, settings are slightly different for each.

Then you look in the Dish literature for the tables that tell you the azimuth, elevation and skew for your particular zip code for that dish - a starting point.

Make sure the skew is set to the book value for your zip code.

Cover the outer 2 lnb's with foil so they can see nothing and lock onto the 119 satellite with the center lnb.

My guess is that you are seeing the 110 satellite with the 119 lnb, so you are about 8-10 degrees too far east.

Swing the dish 8-10 degrees clockwise and drop the elevation 2-3 degrees.

Another confusing part is if you don have all three satellites listed in the check switch matrix you won't find them by the point dish screen. Say for instance all you have is 110 and 119 in the matrix. If you put the receiver on 129 it will not know which port 129 is on so it will never find the signal even if you are dead on it until you do a check switch.

If you are moving around a lot I highly recommend a meter that can control the lnb on the dish 1000. It will make your installations a snap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)