Cannot watch Buffalo Sabres at all

danb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I live in Erie, PA which is technically in the Sabres market. I subscribed to the Center Ice last night figuring I would probably be able to watch the Sabres on the opposing teams feed. Nope. All blacked out. Now how can they black it out when there is no possible way of watching the Sabres on Dish. Does anyone know if they show away games or is everything Sabres blacked out. I figured I could probably "move" and watch some games that way, but I like keeping my actual addy on my account.

Since the Sabres are your home team they are blacked out on NHL CI. The fact Dish doesnt carry MSG right now is a moot point on blackouts. You're blacked out of local games regardless if the RSN is carried or not.

I am also in the Penguins territory, but they are not blacked out on CI. Both on the Pitt feed and the opposing teams feed.

Check that wrong on my part. Pens-Sharks tonight was on Versus and Fox Pitt. So you're telling me away Sabres games will be available. Thats good news. At least I won't hopefully get totally shut out.

Last edited:
I'm lost here. The Pens/Canes game is showing unlocked for Pitt and Carolina feeds on CI. Is that because that is an away game?

because you edited your post above after I posted now you confused me. Here are the rules about blackouts as I know them

-If a game is on Versus and your local RSN, in **most** cases the Versus feed is blacked out forcing you to watch it on the local RSN. If its only on Vs then you can see it
-If a team is considered local regardless if the RSN is carried or not you are blacked out of the teams games on NHL CI...all feeds

This past week there was a freeview of NHL CI on Directv. I was blacked out of the opposing teams feed when they played the MN Wild (my local team).

The only thing I can think of is that there is a 100 mile radius that I fall under for the Sabres and not the Pens. That is the only explanation I have for being unlocked on the opposing teams rsn for the upcoming Pens/Carolina game.

very possible. Since I am directly in the Minnesota teams (about 20 miles from Minneapolis) the blackout rules are stricter. Once you get further out they might lax them a little bit.

On a different note, it's a little rediculous that CI is priced at the same level on Dish and Direct. Tonight I had 2 choices of HD hockey to watch on CI. Edmonton/Colorado and the Kings/Ducks. Those are some great matchups. Watching Teemu Selanne hold his own out there at the age of 40 is pretty good hockey viewing though.

One thing I noticed during the CI freeview.......CI didn't carry any feeds from MSG on DISH (Islanders, Rangers, Devils, Sabres). They were all the away team feeds. The only way to see MSG feeds on DISH is if the game is also on the NHL Network.

I guess the feud continues and runs deep. :(

on a side note, remember Empire Sports Network? Had them on free to air at the end of their run before they ceased broadcasting. Saw Sabres games and also Toronto Raptors games on there

Remember them also from the old ECW days (Extreme Championship Wrestling) with the "EMPIRE" logo in the top right corner :)

I am also in the Penguins territory, but they are not blacked out on CI. Both on the Pitt feed and the opposing teams feed.

Check that wrong on my part. Pens-Sharks tonight was on Versus and Fox Pitt. So you're telling me away Sabres games will be available. Thats good news. At least I won't hopefully get totally shut out.

I don't think you will get any Sabre's away games on CI because you will be blacked out because you are supposed to watch them on your local RSN even though Dish doesn't carry it. You will only get the Sabre's on NBC or sometimes on Verus. You will even be blacked out when they are on the NHL network.

The problem with the Sabres and MSG is that they are only into the first couple of years of a 10 year contract with MSG to transmit their games. The Sabres control the production and advertising with MSG providing the network infrastructure. The loss of EMPIRE after the Adelphia fiasco and the bankruptcy of the Sabres (then owned by the Rigas family, owners of Adelphia), has left us with no real RSN in Western NY. MSG-Buffalo is a mirage. Heres hoping that the new Sabres ownership buys out the MSG contract and starts their own RSN like we had with EMPIRE. The new President of the Sabres was heavily involved with FSN Pittsburgh when he was with the Pens. We need our Sabres hockey back on dish network...one way or another.

on a side note, remember Empire Sports Network? Had them on free to air at the end of their run before they ceased broadcasting. Saw Sabres games and also Toronto Raptors games on there

I go even further back. Yeah I'm an old gizzer. I remember when ALL their games were in the clear on my BUD.Everything was in the clear. Then they stopped sending home games and eventually all games. At first Empire was on the BUD and I subscribed, Eventually it went little dish only and when Dish droped the subscription rates, I got my first DIH. Had 2000 and 1000 receivers.
One of the more interesting things I got off the BUD was a replay of the Bills Houston come back play off game. Was surfing the sat's on Tues evening and ran acros a feed of the game to Japan. Threw in a vcr tape . Got the game from the middle of the 2nd quater till the end. No commercials, no breaks. Stayed ith the annoucers throutgh all the commercial breaks. Had an extermintar come once to kill bees in the attic. Knocked $100 of my bill when I made him a copy of the tape.

I "moved". I mean how rediculous is it that you pay $80 for a couple months of hockey and you cannot even watch your local team. They are blacking out opponents feed on account of a channel that they DO NOT offer. That is mind numbing. The day Dish cracks down on "moving" is the day I jump ship. It's really one of the only things that is keeping me with them at this point.

If you are within a specific milage of the team (75 miles maybe....I know they mention 100 above) you're blacked out of any opponent feed of the local team.
The fact Dish doesnt have MSG screws you even more....

Wish there was a way to get the Sabres to push for a settlement of the feud.

Maybe the new owner will have some sort of solution to the problem. I mean the guy is a self made billionaire. My guess is that Dish doesn't want to open the wallet at all on this thing. I would guess with the subscriber loss it might be hurting them more than helping them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts