Need Help Re-sighting Dish

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi, I live in W Palm Beach, FL. We had a hurricane last Monday. It turned the dish around facing north. I am not a tech, but am technically inclined. Dish screwed me all up by making me wait 4 days for an appt. to re-alighn the dish. Today at 5:10PM I called and was told they rescheduled my appt. to Nov. 11th. Nobody from dish ever called me.

Tomorrow morning I want to try & site the dish. I need to know where EXACTLY to rest my compass. My skew & elevation are perfect. I need to turn the dish from South slowly to 240 degrees. This is verified by my zip code. Can someone give a frustrated lay person a hand so I can watch TV tomorrow? Thanks all! :cool:

Is your mount perfectly level? If so can you hear your television from the Point Dish screen? If you can slowly move your dish to the west after pointing it south... if you have the degree marks, no more than 3 of the marks at a time giving it about 20 seconds or so each time listening for a solid then a high pitch tone...alternate method , if you cannot hear have someone with walkie talkie or cellphone let you know when tone and or signal shows...

Walker1 said:
Hi, I live in W Palm Beach, FL. We had a hurricane last Monday.

Really? heheh :)

Just playing I have folks in PBG that went through the same thing. I had them take down the dish and mark where it was aligned, but I guess that didn't work to well because they called me saying they are getting no signal.

As dfergie said. Making sure that the pole is plumb and level is the most important thing! Without this your screwed for everything else. Once you know it's level I'd just use the point dish screen from the receiver to get re-peaked. I've tried to use a compass as a guide before and it's worthless the point dish screen is the way to go.

What you'll do is move the dish left and right until you pick up a signal. Then you'll move the dish up and down untill the signal is even igher then tighten

Walker1 said:
Dish screwed me all up by making me wait 4 days for an appt. to re-alighn the dish.
Imagine that! Having to wait four whole days, when the state has been hit by a hurricane! What incompetent slobs they are!
Chill out, dude, and wait your turn!!!!
Tom in TX

Tom in TX said:
Imagine that! Having to wait four whole days, when the state has been hit by a hurricane! What incompetent slobs they are!
Tom in TX

Jeez.... help the guy point the dish. He just wants to watch a little TV instead of sitting in the house bored due to curfews and this little problem called a gas shortage.

What kind of equipment do you have? Dish500? Superdish?

I thought this was alittle funny, this came from Dish's Storm page
"Help Friends Stay Connected
Your friends, families and neighbors shouldn’t have to wait for their cable service to be turned back on. Simply recommend DISH Network using our ClubDISH referral rewards program. You can help others stay connected to the community through television at this important time." :rolleyes:
Well sounds like you still will have to wait just like the cable cust. do if you want Dish to com out and fix it.

I worked in the pensacola fl and mobile al area for hurricane relief work and was surprised at the amount of new customer installation work we got ontop of all the service calls we had to fix damaged systems but Im not surprised as there is a major push to reach a goal by february of next year that all employee's know about but Im also wondering if there isn't some unknown goal that we haven't been told about yet.

Still the big point is that his service call was rescheduled without notification though I can say that the dispatch office in his area would have made an attempt to contact him at the phone numbers listed on his account if they could not make his appointment and if they were unable to reach him then a note would have been left on his account to this regard.

What many people have not understood about the relief work that all of the telecommunication companies have been doing is that the technicians that are out there repairing damaged systems and installing new customers are going out with double to almost triple their normal work load wich normally means that they are working 14 - 18 hour days 7 days a week. Initially dish had its people in hotels and rv's but now they are in military style community tents as I've heard from a few dozen techs that are still down there. Keep in mind also that most are working in unfamiliar regions and conditions that they have never dealt with before. Have a little compassion for your service man that comes out to restore your television or phone or internet as by the time he gets to you he most likely has already been to 5 or 6 other homes.

I love you VAN, well spoken. Im headed out of market coming out of NC, we are really committed to getting you guys back up. Heres one thing to keep in mind though for the guy with the dish pointed in the North direction. If our Satellites are located 22,300 miles directly above the equator, what direction should your dish be pointing? :)

Keep your elevation and skew exactly the same as it was.

Make sure the pole or mast your dish is mounted to is perfectly level or Plumb and then try twisting it back to the settings you marked

wait, this time make sure you mark some alignment settings for the next hurricane :)

Tekken said:
IKeep your elevation and skew exactly the same as it was.

Make sure the pole or mast your dish is mounted to is perfectly level or Plumb and then try twisting it back to the settings you marked

wait, this time make sure you mark some alignment settings for the next hurricane :)
I started doing this with my BUDs, and still mark everything I can when I put up a new dish or change something...

Tom in TX said:
Tom in TX

You don't understand. Friday WAS my turn! We have no electric or water. If we didn't have a generator I wouldn't have this pc. Don't tell me to chill. They made an appt. with me on Tuesday. NOBODY ever called me to tell me that they changed my appt. to Nov. 11. Now, wouldn't you be pissed? I suppose in Texas nothing bothers you.

dfergie said:
Is your mount perfectly level? If so can you hear your television from the Point Dish screen? If you can slowly move your dish to the west after pointing it south... if you have the degree marks, no more than 3 of the marks at a time giving it about 20 seconds or so each time listening for a solid then a high pitch tone...alternate method , if you cannot hear have someone with walkie talkie or cellphone let you know when tone and or signal shows...

Yes, I believe the mount is fine. The dish just was pusked around on its pole by the 130 MPH winds. Where are there marks for moving the dish from So. to SW?

BFG said:
Really? heheh :)

Just playing I have folks in PBG that went through the same thing. I had them take down the dish and mark where it was aligned, but I guess that didn't work to well because they called me saying they are getting no signal.

As dfergie said. Making sure that the pole is plumb and level is the most important thing! Without this your screwed for everything else. Once you know it's level I'd just use the point dish screen from the receiver to get re-peaked. I've tried to use a compass as a guide before and it's worthless the point dish screen is the way to go.

What you'll do is move the dish left and right until you pick up a signal. Then you'll move the dish up and down untill the signal is even igher then tighten

You mean I'm not supposed to leave the elevation on 41 degrees per my zip code? Up & down is that adjustment?

digiblur said:
Jeez.... help the guy point the dish. He just wants to watch a little TV instead of sitting in the house bored due to curfews and this little problem called a gas shortage.

What kind of equipment do you have? Dish500? Superdish?

Dish 500, 2 DVR machines with locals & top 60 pkg. I had a 10ft. C Band for HBO etc. It got totally trashed and bent up by the storm.

thiggin2 said:
I thought this was alittle funny, this came from Dish's Storm page

Well sounds like you still will have to wait just like the cable cust. do if you want Dish to com out and fix it.

I'm going outside after breakfast to try & set the dish. I'm pissed because those morons made me sit around for 1/2 a day for NOTHING. They never had the professional courtesy to CALL me to let me know they changed my appt. My time is valuable. I used to work in a CATV call center. People get real pissed when they're left hanging. The dish fools claimed their installers couldn't get gas, and don't all have cell phones. Gee, I waited in a gas line yesterday for 2 hrs. to get gas for my cars & generator and I've had a cell phone since 1995. Duh. I used to have to call dispatch for customers who were burned on their appts. There are alot of incompetant fools in FL in that line of work. They show up if & when they feel like it. I've been here for 17 yrs. Good workers are hard to find in this ass backward state.

Van said:
I worked in the pensacola fl and mobile al area for hurricane relief work and was surprised at the amount of new customer installation work we got ontop of all the service calls we had to fix damaged systems but Im not surprised as there is a major push to reach a goal by february of next year that all employee's know about but Im also wondering if there isn't some unknown goal that we haven't been told about yet.

Still the big point is that his service call was rescheduled without notification though I can say that the dispatch office in his area would have made an attempt to contact him at the phone numbers listed on his account if they could not make his appointment and if they were unable to reach him then a note would have been left on his account to this regard.

What many people have not understood about the relief work that all of the telecommunication companies have been doing is that the technicians that are out there repairing damaged systems and installing new customers are going out with double to almost triple their normal work load wich normally means that they are working 14 - 18 hour days 7 days a week. Initially dish had its people in hotels and rv's but now they are in military style community tents as I've heard from a few dozen techs that are still down there. Keep in mind also that most are working in unfamiliar regions and conditions that they have never dealt with before. Have a little compassion for your service man that comes out to restore your television or phone or internet as by the time he gets to you he most likely has already been to 5 or 6 other homes.

Like you said- nobody called me. The supervisor in Denver told me it was weather conditions. All week long it was sunny and about 75 degrees here. The dispatcher in Atlanta routes the calls to Delray, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami. She told me they didn't notify anyone (including the Dish call centers) about the installers NOT working all week because the computers were down. Duh. So I asked her how they were able to reschedule my appt. to Nov. 11 without the computers. Silence. I'm not mad at whoever was supposed to come here. But, if I don't pay my Dish bill how long will it be before they shut it off? They're as bad as cable with their service.

BTW, My cable line is lying on the ground outside the house. I put a new end on it, ran an extension coax, and I have the internet. It's a good thing I'm somewhat technically & mechanically inclined. Time will tell.

Some mounts have Black Adhesive tape with white marks wrapper around the pole right below where the dish mounts on the pole... If yours doesn't, no sweat just bump the dish no more than a 1/4" at a time to the west. If you find a signal mark with pencil (for now) the pole and the mount then tweak for a better signal(which might include moving dish up and down).

Walker1 You don't understand. Friday WAS my turn! We have no electric or water. If we didn't have a generator I wouldn't have this pc. Don't tell me to chill. They made an appt. with me on Tuesday. NOBODY ever called me to tell me that they changed my appt. to Nov. 11. Now said:
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were pissed because when you first called, they said it would be four days, and you thought that was too long. My apologies!
Tom in TX

dfergie said:
Some mounts have Black Adhesive tape with white marks wrapper around the pole right below where the dish mounts on the pole... If yours doesn't, no sweat just bump the dish no more than a 1/4" at a time to the west. If you find a signal mark with pencil (for now) the pole and the mount then tweak for a better signal(which might include moving dish up and down).

I got LUCKY. I started at South, then turned the dish west a little at a time. I got a strong signal on both sats. I then marked where the point is for future reference. At least we can watch some TV tonight. No power, no water, but gasoline is getting easier to get with little waiting times. Good thing I bought a generator a few years ago. It's INVALUABLE. We have been told that power may not be back on until Nov. 15th. I think FL is getting to be known as the Hurricane state. I may opt to move out in a few more years. Next year I will buy 1 of those whole house generators. I need a shower. It's been 3 days again. Thanks for all your help! :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)