NEED HELP: "Searching for Satellite Signal" message

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brett2005

Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and have a problem that I cannot solve. I have nowhere else to go but here to you guys, as I am at my wits end with this.

I am getting "Searching for Satellite Signal, Please Stand By" message on my tv. However, sometimes, like maybe for 30 minutes a day, I actually get the signal and the programming, but when I switch channels, then I get the message and the signal is gone. I then go to check my signal strength and it says "Move dish 3 degrees". However I had a tech comeby and realign it to 91 signal strength, and I know that is is locked in at that, because when I do get the program I checked my signal strength real quick and it says 91.

I checked my connections and they are fine, I also did a hard reset and pulled the plug on my reciever and it didn't work. I also had my local satellite store check the reciever and they said it was fine. I have been told that maybe it is an LNB issue, but if it is why would I get a signal once in awhile, mind you very little at all anymore. My system was working perfectly for the past year, but this problem has started about a month ago, and I cannot get any signal pretty much.

I need help and any opinions you may have. I appreciate the advice big time. Thanks.

Brett

i'm not a veteran poster but a few things missing

-make/model of receiver
-house or apartment
-your own dish? is it new/used?
-do you get signal strength on most transponders?
-how is the cable run from the dish to the receiver?

answer these and it'll help greatly

Sorry for the missing info, here is the situation:

-RCA DRD 420RE Reciever
-house (I own it)
-used dish
-the cable is run directly from the dish to my reciever (about 50 feet), the cable has been tucked under my eavestrough so it doesn't hang
-I have one dish and one reciever, and my reciever works fine at the store where I got it tested

more than likely its a Dish or wiring problem then. pinched wires cause weird problems. I live in an apartment and we have problems with this all the time if the sliding door is shut too tightly. the transponders read ok but nothing comes in.

More than likely a staple or pinch on the line is the cause of your problem. Could be the dish too. Only way to really find out is by testing them to see which it is.

Someone else may have more insight than me though.

Is there any rg-59 used in the line from the dish to the receiver ? How about line of site is there a tree near it ?

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

What type of dish is it? Is it a round 18" dish with a single LNB, a 2LNB 18X20", or a 3LNB 18X20"?

Also, what kind of multiswitch do you have? The 3LNB dish has one built in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts