Need help with 2nd TV set up

Grandpa J

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
Camarillo, CA
May I ask for some technical help or ideas.

I currently send the output from my 722k Dish receiver (I use single mode) in the family room to a second TV in the bedroom using an Actiontec My Wireless HD TV transmitter & receiver units. The system uses HDMI and works fine except that HBO is blocked on the second TV if the primary TV is off because of the HBO copy protection as the wireless is only one way.

I would like to maintain the HD quality but be able to get the HBO channels on the second set. The problem is that rewiring the house is not an option and a Hopper/Joey combo adds more monthly expense then I want to spend. While I can get all channels on the second TV in standard definition using existing coax the SD picture is quality not good.

I believe that if I buy/use a Sling 500 (connected by component cables to the 722 receiver) running on my home wireless router and then use wireless media player connected to the second TV I could get all the HD channels in HD including HBO. Plus I would get the other Slingbox benefits.

Does anyone know if this plan is viable or have a better idea.

Thanks

I understand that Dish is pushing it's Hooper/Joey product, as I said in the opening post I'm not interested in it. Because I don't want to add to the ever increasing Dish monthly cost and even though I've been with them since '97 they are reaching a point where I will change providers and Slingbox will work with other providers.

I've been on this site since '04 and generally someone has and answer to a specific question. Perhaps this question is just too off the wall. Thanks anyways.

Yes a Sling 350 (Don't waste the extra $$$ on the Slingbox 500) and a media box such as a WDTV Live or a Google TV box will work, just be aware the PQ is not always constant so if your downloading a big file or something the PQ my degrade in the other room. :)

Good to see you Grandpa J! :)

If I was doing it just for HBO, I would use a laptop computer if you have one - (or a Tablet with HDMI) connected via HDMI to my second TV. Log into the slingbox and watch HBO on the second TV. Picture should be very good, but not as good as actually watching from the Dish receiver. I know, I use my slingbox to watch recorded programming from a VIP receiver in another room when I don't want to use my EHD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)