Need help with a replacement Receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PIZ

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Pennsylvania
I bought the original (I think) DirecTv receiver / dish combo that Walmart had years ago - 1997? It is a RCA brand and the model number is DRD303RA and it uses the Access Card: 4. My son put his sippy on top of the receiver and it dripped juice inside and fried it - it won't even turn on now, and when it is plugged in, my cable is really fuzzy. Do I need to find the same model, say on ebay, or do I have other options. Thanks for your help.

By the way, I own this receiver and do not want to rent one from DirecTv if I can help it.

You can get any box you want.. just keep in mind that a D11 and D12 are leased. Also you will have a charge from D* for a new access card. I would get the RID number from the seller and verify with D* that it can be activated.. too many people buy them off Ebay to find out that they bought a fancy paper weight.

Personally I like the Samsung SIR-300 Series..
samsung-sir-s300w-satellite-tv-receiver-review.jpg
They seem to be a solid box.

Is the Samsung SIR-300 Series one that I can buy without leasing? Will my access card work in it? Where can I buy it?

Last edited:
Those boxes have been out of production for at least 3 years, buyer be ware. Have you tried calling Directv to see what type of deal they will offer you for a replacement?

I was going to say that you should contact DirecTV and see what they'll offer. There's a chance, and who knows what a CSR will do, that you could get a replacement receiver for basically free. Yes, it'll be leased (rented) but it sounds like you only have this one receiver, which also makes it your primary, and the lease fee doesn't apply to the primary. If it's not your only receiver you're going to pay an additional receiver fee whether you own the receiver or not.

Piz,

I have an old standard definition receiver from 1998. It is an RCA DRD515RB. You are welcome to have it if you want it. However, as others have said, I think you will need to pay DTV a small amount to get a new card, if they are still available.

I would also agree with the others that you should check with DTV to see what they would give you in terms of a newer receiver.

Regards, Dan

Piz,

I have an old standard definition receiver from 1998. It is an RCA DRD515RB. You are welcome to have it if you want it. However, as others have said, I think you will need to pay DTV a small amount to get a new card, if they are still available.

I would also agree with the others that you should check with DTV to see what they would give you in terms of a newer receiver.

Regards, Dan

Thanks Dan. I will contact DirecTV and see what they say.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)