Need help with cable interference

You've been a tremendous help so far. Much more than the CS of the fence company who basically told me, "hmm, I don't know."

Not too bad. 16 minutes, two transfers, and explaining the situation to 3 people and I have a service call set up for next Tuesday.

Anything I need to know or do before they come out?

btw, they didn't care about the interference. It was the words "possible break in line" that got them to schedule a call.

the CSSR's are not trained to handle the type of problem you have so they may pass you around trying to figure out which department you need to go to.

just explain what you did and he/she may do the same to confirm so don't be offended by that. sometimes doing it yourself gives you a better idea then being told.

well the tech may worry about it, if it is feeding back on the ground in the ped. eventually it can cause trouble down the road. If it interfers with your internet, then imagen what it is doing down from you.

Last edited:
cablewithaview said:
NO metal conduit ! that will cause more trouble. Just ground the fence separate from power. If you have some 3/4 conduit, put it in. I would try ground 1st and then go from there.
My bad, I miss read the original post. I thought he was getting RF interference. I didn't see that he was actually getting electrical current going to the coax. Oops

I just thought about this: could the break be in the fence wire? Would that cause the signal to leak into the tv cable? Given the tests that I've already performed, could that be possible?

The fence will not operate if the line is completely broken, but I guess it would operate if it was partially cut because the current could still pass.

OK. I'm 99% certain that the break is in the fence cable. I just hooked up a shorter piece of fence cable that I know is not broken. I passed it over the tv cable in the same manner the other one is, and lo and behold, the collar did not go off! If I get close to the fence line it goes off as normal, but it does not go off when passed over the tv cable.

Guys, I think I may have found the culprit. It's too late to go digging around now, so I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help

Well, not quite what I had hoped for. I pulled up the fence line and didn't find any breaks, cuts, slices, etc. I did however, find a cut in the tv cable. The outer sheathing was cut and the mesh inside exposed.

I think I'm going to try to patch that just to see if it solves the problem. If not, I'm back to square one.

WakeBdr said:
Well, not quite what I had hoped for. I pulled up the fence line and didn't find any breaks, cuts, slices, etc. I did however, find a cut in the tv cable. The outer sheathing was cut and the mesh inside exposed.

I think I'm going to try to patch that just to see if it solves the problem. If not, I'm back to square one.

Since it is between the ped and the house, it would be the cable company problem, they should replace it at no charge. I wouldn't do to much more until they get there. I guess put some electricial on it but point it out when they get there and tell them why you did that.

I still suspect a cut in the fence line. I just did the same test I did a couple days ago where I created a small perimeter around the cut section of tv cable, and the signal did not bleed into the tv cable at all. The fence worked as expected, but the tv cable did not activate the collar.

I'm started to get really angry over this. If there was a cut in the fence line, wouldn't it have to be near the tv cable for it to be acting this way?

I'm going to try to put a new section of wire in tomorrow and see what happens. I plan on putting in a long enough wire to cut out the entire side that may have the cut in it.

WakeBdr said:
I'm going to try to put a new section of wire in tomorrow and see what happens. I plan on putting in a long enough wire to cut out the entire side that may have the cut in it.

What have you found out ??? I hadn't heard back from you on it.

Sorry, I've been kind of tied up this week. I did splice a new section of wire into the fence. So far, it seems to work. The fence acts as it is supposed to and the tv cable does not set the collar off. I'm thinking about burying the new cable this weekend. Hopefully that will be the last I have to deal with this.

The cable guy came out earlier this week but didn't do anything. I worked from home so I could talk to him when he showed up. Well, he called me on my cell when he was on his way home. He told me he didn't find any breaks in the line and the signals looked good. Apparently, he came to my house, checked things out and never came to the door. I told him the line wasn't broken, but simply cut and I had covered the cut with electrical tape. His response was, "Hmm, I wasn't looking for any electrical tape. I was just looking for a break." He said he didn't have any shrink tubing on his truck, so he would have to come back the next day to fix it. That was Tuesday. As of last night, it hasn't been touched.

I'm almost scared to bury my fence wire because I know when they come back to bury the tv cable they will cut right through my fence. Last time they buried the cable, they did a real good job of screwing up my newly laid sod. It looked like the gopher from Caddyshack had inhabited my yard.

I'll probably give them a call tonight to ask when they are coming back to repair the cut.

I recently installed an electric dog fence for my Mother. In the installation video it said to loop the fence wire back and forth in the areas where the dog was to enter and leave the house and the collar would not go off in that area. Perhaps if you made a very small loop right where the fence passes over the cable TV wire it would keep the signal from passing over to the cable TV cable, but be small enough that the dog won't be able to detect a gap in the fence. :confused:

It appears to be working now. I buried the cable yesterday, and went around with the collar today to make sure it works every where. The cable company still hasn't come back to fix the cable, but I buried it myself where it crosses my fence line so they won't have to do it.

Next step is to start training my dog...again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)