Need help with Captiveworks CW-800S

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sunglobes

Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
North Carolina
Hello everyone, Sunglobes here....1st post....

Trying to get back into FTA after being out of it for about 4 years. Needless to say, I'm a little rusty and don't seem to remember much about FTA receivers.

Got a question for ya'll.

I just dusted off one of my CaptiveWorks CW-800S and hooked it up to my TV, and it seems like something happened to the programming since the last time I used it. :))) (about 4 yrs. ago)

I went to my former FTA site and they've been shut down and seem have alot of "problems" right now with some of the pay-for satellite companies.

Here's my question: Can I reset my CW-800S back to "factory settings" so I can watch strictly FTA channels and if so, where can I find the files to download to enable me to do this. I've searched the internet, as well as the forums on this site and I just can't seem to find any files available to download.

Thanks in advance....SunGlobes

I know where you can get the latest factory file for the CW-800, if you'll PM me. However, I don't think you need a new file, the one you have should be perfect for true FTA. No hacking is done at this site, but that does not mean you can't use hacker files as most times they are the most up to date, just don't do any hacking and your fine. If there is anything else you need I will try to help get you back into true FTA.

Phoxx is correct. Just dump your old channels and then blindscan for new ones. However the CW-800s is quite limited with only SD and no DBS2.

You're probably going to have to change out the dish/lnb for a larger dish (36 inch recommended) and a linear LNBF (Standard 10750 L.O.)
Your SD MPEG2 receiver will get most on 97W, but miss a lot elsewhere.
MPEG4 and DVB-S2 is getting more common as it saves bandwidth (& that = $$) for the uplinkers.
Wikipedia DVB-S2

What kind of dish do you have now? I gotta good guess, but just wondering.

Phoexx sent me a very detailed PM explaining what I would need to do. Looks like alot has changed in the last 4 yrs.....alot of catching up to do. Thanks for your response, Fat Air.

Yes, I've got all of the original paperwork and a copy of the manual.

Thanks!! Do you think you can make a copy for us?? I will send you a private message with my e-mail so you can send me a copy. I will make sure a copy is also posted here in our manuals section, Again, Thanks a lot!!

Sun's probably out looking for a bigger dish. :)

If you have a DishNet SuperDish, or one of the larger DirecTV dishes (30"), we have info that'll let you use one to test the water.
However, if you are buying a real dish, I'd have to recommend 36".
That should get you 99%, including most S2 signals.

SatelliteAV, one of our sponsors, has an excellent dish, as well as a nice PLL LNBF.
Even if you retrofit a larger DirecTV dish, that's probably the LNBF to go with.

Phoexx sent me a very detailed PM explaining what I would need to do. Looks like alot has changed in the last 4 yrs.....alot of catching up to do. Thanks for your response, Fat Air.

I came across your post while looking for info on how to set up my CW800. It's been about 5 or 6 years since I was set up, and so much has changed since then, I have absolutely no clue what to do to get up and running again. I wonder if you might help me out. I would really appreciate it.
Thank you

FTA requirements: LNBF- Standard Linear with LO freq = 10750 Mhz (10.75Ghz)
Could also use a Universal Linear with LO - 10600/9750. If some transponder you're after are between 11000 and 11700. (international only)
Recommended dish size is 36 inch (width) also known as a 90cm.
The 18 inch Could, and I stress could, be modified to accept the required LNBF, but it's not something that's going to work that well. Nor is it a recommended project. Just something to experiment with.
The CW800 will get 99% of the channels on 97W. See northgeorgia's latest update [h=3]Galaxy 19 (97W) Ku-band channel guide -- Mar. 12 update[/h]Will also work to get 30W. Some English language movies in the evenings.
http://www.global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html (Be aware, listing may not be up to date - ever changing)
Basic set up, after dish/LNBF is 'right'. Delete all the old outdated transponders. Add active transponder information. Aim dish ( www.dishpointer.com ) watch for maximum Quality in tune up screen. Scan satellite. enjoy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)