Need help with choosing an antenna please

Sorry to say, Jumpman, with an indoor antenna you might receive the PBS station on channel 24, but the others are all too weak and too far away for using an indoor antenna. All of the other local stations are low power stations. The main channels, out of LA, are 44 miles away. Is there any possibility of putting an outdoor antenna in your attic? You'd need an antenna with some gain for both VHF and UHF to get the LA stations. See the recommendations for antennas in another thread for a guy who's somewhere near your area. Good luck!

ugh! That is another ugly tvfool

Yeah I 2nd what Larry said. If you can get an outdoor antenna in the attic it may help but you may be out of luck

Sorry to say, Jumpman, with an indoor antenna you might receive the PBS station on channel 24, but the others are all too weak and too far away for using an indoor antenna. All of the other local stations are low power stations. The main channels, out of LA, are 44 miles away. Is there any possibility of putting an outdoor antenna in your attic? You'd need an antenna with some gain for both VHF and UHF to get the LA stations. See the recommendations for antennas in another thread for a guy who's somewhere near your area. Good luck!

If I'm able to install one on the roof, which one should I be looking at? Thanks!

I suggest the Winegard HD7694P. Here's a link to a page about it:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HD7694P&d=Winegard-HD7694P-VHF/UHF-HDTV-Antenna-(HD7694P)&q=Winegard HD7694P
You'll need some space for an antenna that will receive stations from 44 miles away. If you have an attic, the antenna might fit there.

If you have to keep the antenna inside your home, I say forget OTA TV. Call your cable company or Dish or DirecTV satellite service, because an antenna that will work for OTA won't fit inside your home.

Larry

Ok, sorry guys looks like I posted the wrong report so I'll post the correct one here. I am also happy to report that I will be allowed to mount a roof ota as well. How does the winegard compare to something like this I seen in another thread http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2476

Here is the correct tv fool report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=5134f24970504e
The Winegard receives UHF channels and HI VHF. MCM only receives HI VHF (Channels 7-13) channels numerically above 13 are UHF and the most popular digital channels.

How does the winegard compare to something like this I seen in another thread http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2476
This guy is VHF-high only so it isn't what you want.

Your new report isn't much happier than the old one. NBC and CBS are still a real battle with even a full-range deep fringe antenna. Having edges may hurt your ability to effectively use a pre-amp.

This guy is VHF-high only so it isn't what you want.

Your new report isn't much happier than the old one. NBC and CBS are still a real battle with even a full-range deep fringe antenna. Having edges may hurt your ability to effectively use a pre-amp.

Well that sucks, so will the winegard or some other roof OTA allow me to receive all the basics?

NBC and CBS are on UHF so if you want to try and pick them up you will need a separate antenna.
Most of the "decent" signals on the tvfool are VHF and the MCM antenna will work for that

The thing is....how much do you feel like spending? And even if you spend all that money you still may not get CBS & NBC relaibly

Reactions: harshness
NBC and CBS are on UHF so if you want to try and pick them up you will need a separate antenna.
Most of the "decent" signals on the tvfool are VHF and the MCM antenna will work for that

The thing is....how much do you feel like spending? And even if you spend all that money you still may not get CBS & NBC relaibly

So in my situation is it not really worth getting an ota?

We can't honestly say given only a tvfool report.

As bad as it may sound, trial and error may be your only option and you need to make sure you can return the gear if it doesn't work out.

If you have any neighbors with what appears to be an OTA setup, you could ask them how it works (or worked if they threw in the towel).

For me, not being able to get CBS would be a deal breaker.

Its really up to you on how much you want to spend. How much time and effort you want to stick into it....and it may all for naught

The VHF stations look to be good with the MCM antenna that was posted earlier. Those stations (ABC 7, KCAL, FOX 11, KCOP) all have respectable n/m numbers so with the VHF antenna (and possibly a pre-amp) you'll get some stations.
The UHF stations (where KTLA, CBS & NBC are) the numbers are at or below zero. UHF doesnt have as much "leeway" when dealing with mountains/terrain as VHF does. Will the station possibly come in? yeah. Will it be stable enough to be able to watch a 1/2 hour program? Highly unlikely

So its really up to you how much time, effort and money you want to stick into it. The VHF stations wont take much. Its the others that will

I'd place the likelihood of a satisfactory result at less than 20% (remembering that I would call it a fail if I couldn't get CBS).

It is a roll of the dice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)