Need help with Dual HD-DVR Multi Room Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HeavyC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Hi, I'm a long time Dish Network customer who just signed up with DirecTV. I haven't ever really done much posting over in this forum, as I've usually posted on the Dish side of the forums. Anyway, I'm having some issues with my new install, and neither the local install tech nor DirecTV customer support has been able to successfully solve it for me. I'm hoping someone here will have an answer. Here's my setup.

2 HR-24 HD DVR's and 2 H24 HD Receivers. They are all hooked up only to the coax and the ethernet ports have all been left unplugged.

According to everything I've read here, and on DirecTV's website, I should be able to view/watch any recording from either DVR on any of my 4 receivers. Right now, I can only get one DVR to work. My 2 HR24 receivers can view/watch recordings from my Theater Room DVR just fine. However, none of the other receivers can see my 2nd DVR in the Great Room. The Great Room DVR also says it can't find any Networked DVR's. It's like the 2nd DVR exists all by itself in a vacuum, while the other 3 receivers are happily talking to each other.

So far, I've tried power cycling, resetting, pretty much everything I can think of. I had a local tech come out today who first told me the DVR's can't talk to each other before eventually changing his mind. He had to call his boss who is now "researching" the problem. If anyone here has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Do you have a Broad Band DECA module near your router for Internet connection? The Internet connection would help them discover each other quicker.

There are some tricks to get them seeing each other. Are you using static IPs or DHCP? A static IP should be done by requesting a new IP from the receiver's advanced network setup screen (remove any reserved IPs in the router).

For DHCP, I heard one yesterday, remove the BB DECA's ETHERNET cable at router or switch and menu restart all boxes. Wait until they see other as network connected boxes. Reconnect the BB DECA's ETHERNET cable and run network setup on each box. (I haven't had the "I'm scratching my head on this one" yet so I don't know if there any shortcuts on this method).

If you don't have an Broad Band DECA, try this: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...-about-multiroom-viewing-mrv.html#post1988243 I would suggest getting the BB DECA aka Internet Connection Kit for WHD (Whole Home DVR).

I don't have the Broadband DECA connection kit right now. Though I do have Cat5e runs to all the TV locations (I just don't have them plugged into the network right now).

My installer was supposed to bring one out, but forgot it yesterday. I guess I'll push to have him bring one out again. I'm guessing I could simplify the network greatly, if I could use DHCP to hand them all out their own static IP addresses.

I don't have the Broadband DECA connection kit right now. Though I do have Cat5e runs to all the TV locations (I just don't have them plugged into the network right now).

My installer was supposed to bring one out, but forgot it yesterday. I guess I'll push to have him bring one out again. I'm guessing I could simplify the network greatly, if I could use DHCP to hand them all out their own static IP addresses.

A word of caution about using DHCP reserved addresses, it's best to use the static IP as opposed to reserving DHCP reserved addresses. The reserved IPs were reported to be causing MRV issues for some home network users; they were repeatedly losing connection to one or more of the Directv boxes and dropping MRV sharing privileges to the disconnected box.

Your Directv receivers can request their own static IPs the same way your PC can. Go to the advanced network setup screen and manually enter the unique IP (must be outside of DHCP range of router), subnet, gateway and DNS server. Then Connect (in your case; it won't successfully connect until your tech returns to fix). Your more info tab should reflect a (static) beside its IP address. Also others having other network problems had some resolved by using the free OpenDNS server (as Directv DNS server in advanced tab) 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220

If done this way, its also best to record the IP addresses and keep it stored near your router for reference (of course the Directv receiver will keep the info for record also) and never duplicate the address by giving it to two clients at same time. Some routers will not show these static IPs as connected clients. (That's why wireless should have security features enabled.)

Thanks. I'm going to push my installer to get the DECA Internet Connection Module out to my house ASAP so I can get the boxes on my own network.

Well, here's an update. I just got off the phone with the installer, and he's going to swap out my stubborn HR24 DVR and bring out the DECA Broadband Module and we're going to install that as well. I'm interested to see how it works out.

Well, here's an update. I just got off the phone with the installer, and he's going to swap out my stubborn HR24 DVR and bring out the DECA Broadband Module and we're going to install that as well. I'm interested to see how it works out.

Don't accept anything less than a HR24. Not to pick on any model of HD-DVR but IMO, the HR24-100 and HR24-200 models seem to have more frequent auto-reboots or freezing than the HR24-500. But some seem to think the HR24-500 model has more PQ issues.

Hopefully the f/w issues can be resolved quickly and not be a theme of ridicule. The current f/w may be more stable for the HR20-HR23s but they remarkably slower. Just be careful. I honestly think the "stubbornness" you're referring to is the need to find each other w/o an INTERNET connection. It does take time but it may not be a stubborn issue when it's networked properly.

If you haven't had any ETHERNET connections at any time, just go to main setup menu/Network/Connect now. But if you had any connected to ETHERNET, you need to run satellite setup and menu restart each one that had it connected.

Good Luck!

Well, today was very successful. We didn't need to swap out any of the hardware. All that was needed was the installation of the DECA Broadband Module down in my basement next to the main ethernet router & switch that serves the Cat5e throughout my house.

Once that was installed, I plugged in the Cat5e on all 4 of my receivers and power cycled them. All 4 receivers popped up on my network, connected to the Internet, and were able to see each other and share recordings. I'm really happy with the results, and I'm enjoying fully functional Multi-Room viewing and the VOD (my son is a big fan of the Nickelodeon VOD stuff already).

Thanks for all the help. I had a pretty knowledgeable installer, but with MRV being so new, I'm not sure we would have figured it out without you guys.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)