Need help with mlb streaming on roku

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
I am thinking of dropping cable for the internet. I have netflix and an antenna for ota. I am a huge Cincinnati fan and it would be out of market so I figured I could get mlb streaming on roku but not sure of the price. Do you pay monthly or like Directv a one time charge? I have watched most shows on Netflix like Everybody Loves Raymond, Law and Order and the Smithsonian channel or roku. Know there is a thread on cord cutting to go with streaming but am curious about mlb streaming. Thanks.

I dropped Directv when I found out I could get MLB.tv on the Roku. $130 for the whole year for premium. I've been watching a ton of preseason games and find the streaming to be very veiwable. Also like the idea of home or away feed and the ability to go back any games that you might have missed or that were on at the same time you were watching another game. I love the whole Roku concept.

I am a huge Cincinnati fan and it would be out of market so I figured I could get mlb streaming on roku but not sure of the price.

Be aware that in the past, if there is a Saturday game on your local channel, you may be blacked out on line. I guess the idea is to get you to watch the local game (along with the ads). However, that doesn't work on me, as I won't watch the local broadcast unless my team is playing. There are two mlb packages, the more expensive one (129.99) has some extras, like it let's you watch/listen to the home team's broadcast, for example.

Makes you wonder if D* will continue to carry MLB. Or has that ship already sailed?

Be aware that in the past, if there is a Saturday game on your local channel, you may be blacked out on line. I guess the idea is to get you to watch the local game (along with the ads). However, that doesn't work on me, as I won't watch the local broadcast unless my team is playing. There are two mlb packages, the more expensive one (129.99) has some extras, like it let's you watch/listen to the home team's broadcast, for example.

That has been changed for this season. I got an email before my MLB.tv renewal saying that Fox games not on TV in my area would be available on MLB.tv this season. I have been using MLB.tv for a few years now and I'm happy with the way it works on my streaming devices. The Apple TV has been my main streaming device for MLB.tv because that's what I have on my main TV. I often put the late games on the Roku in my bedroom when I'm going to bed though and I have no complaints using it on that device either.

Edit: One thing to clarify. You mentioned the more expensive premium package for $129.99 for the extra features like both team's broadcast. You have to get this version if you want to watch on a Roku or other streaming devices. In addition to only giving you the home team's feed, the basic version only works on computers. Premium also comes with the MLB at Bat smartphone app. I use this all the time to listen to day games on my iPhone when I'm at work. This also gives you the choice of the home and away (and sometimes Spanish) radio feeds plus the MLB.tv video streams if you want to watch them on a smartphone/tablet. Since I am a big fantasy baseball nerd I will often watch the Tigers on my TV and another game with some fantasy relevance on my iPad at the same time.

Last edited:
Thanks king3pj. I plan on using my roku to stream mlb since I don't have apple tv. I think streaming with mlb is cheaper than the season ticket on comcast or directv...I think.

Thanks king3pj. I plan on using my roku to stream mlb since I don't have apple tv. I think streaming with mlb is cheaper than the season ticket on comcast or directv...I think.

Yep. It seems to be about $70 cheaper than Extra Innings on Directv. I don't know how much cable providers charge for Extra Innings but I bet it's pretty close to Directv's price. Before cutting the cord, I was a Dish customer so Extra Innings was never available to me.

Even if I were a Directv customer I would prefer MLB.tv. The fact that EI is including MLB.tv this year certainly makes it a better option than it was in the past. After using MLB.tv for the last few years I know how good it is and I wouldn't pay the extra $70 for EI.

The included smartphone app is by far the most used app on my iPhone/iPad. The picture quality is very good, I love being able to use MLB.tv when I'm traveling, the option to play radio audio synced up to the video instead of the few TV announcers that really annoy me is awesome, and they have both team's feed in HD for every game. This includes local OTA broadcasts and RSNs that most Extra Innings providers don't seem to offer.

It looks like the Dodgers have moved their games from OTA KCAL in LA to the new Sportsnet LA channel so the lack of OTA broadcasts is becoming more irrelevant for Extra Innings. There are still some holdouts like the White Sox and Cubs on WCIU in Chicago though. I think Directv has most of the CSN Philly and Rogers Sports Net Blue Jays games now too but those are all available in HD with MLB.tv.

Basically MLB.tv has more feeds and features for less money than EI. If you have a decent internet connection it's a no brainer for me.