Need help with refund from D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cary

Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
Highland Village, TX
I disconnected service from D* on 2.5

They had been double billing us for several packages for months. We made a large payment prior to knowing this (I guess this is one argument against automatic withdrawal!). Then we couldn't get a fair (to me) deal with an upgrade to HDTV through customer retention and jumped to E* (for better or worse).

Now they tell me at D* my money will not be returned for 6-8 weeks! I spoke with 3 levels of customer service (not a good name for what I received). Had them finally transfer me out of the call center to Boise. The person I got was in "installation". In attempting to assist me in finding an appropriate person she said that all refunds are due within 30 days of the end of service.

She transfers me to someone else (another call center person) and they state 6-8 weeks and refuse to give me to the next level of supervisor. She stated there is "no one" that has the authority to issue a check in ALL OF DIRECT TV. Yeah, right.

I managed to get her to send my complaint and request to "corporate", whatever that means, but they do not return calls for 72 hours. No names.

Anyone have a suggestion has to how to get them to return my money? Ok, yeah, you're probably wondering, "how much we talking about?". Well, its no longer about the money ($84), its about the principle of keeping someones money for 6-8 weeks when it was their fault I was overcharged to begin with. I told them the secretary of state and attorney general of Idaho and Texas would be contacted about this. She said she wasn't going to give me legal advice. I loooved that answer. 8:)

Let me hear from you guys!

Thanks,

Cary

Although I never agree with any CSR refusing to escalate a call, and that 2 - 4 weeks should be possible, but 6 - 8 weeks is not outside the norm for most companies. They run check printing, refund, rebate activities, etc in a cycle format and in addition to the mailing process, they state 6 - 8 weeks to be safe, but you may get it sooner. There is no conspiracy; these companies just don't have a person that can pull a checkbook out of their pocket and write each one as they come in. I would guess there is also an auditing and approval process that also takes places and they handle many in a given month.

Sounds, well, almost...

You made some pretty valid points and IF I had heard any semblance of a rational reason, as you laid out, I would probably have been satisfied.

Here's the rub: I'm in the insurance industry. Ground zero. An agent. If a customer is owed a refund, for any reason, it must be given to them within 30 days. Most of the time the companies can and do execute the refund and the customer receives it within 10 days. These are companies that have millions more customers than D* ever thought about.

I guess this is why it seems so unreasonable to hang on to the money for so long. It is undoubtedly a cashflow/income handling technique.

Thanks for the reasoned reply.

Cary

speaking of 6-8 weeks, I cancelled cable internet service back in dec and I am still waiting for a proper refund from the cable provider ( I got one in Janurary but it bounced) so dont consdier D*'s policy to harsh, every company ive delt with has been at least 6 weeks in refund processing.

So it does not seem unreasonable D* has a simular policy.

"I told them the secretary of state and attorney general of Idaho and Texas would be contacted about this."
Ya, right!! I bet that just made your situation worse, now your never going to get it back. Don't attempt to sue a major company over $84, its just not worth it. Plus I bet it says you need to wait 6-8 weeks in your contact for a refund if canceled early.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Can I pull in ANY satellite?

Local HD without OTA antenna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)