Need network help for Dish Remote Access

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mike_ayu

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
I haven't used dish remote access in many many months. Had it working a long time ago. Now that I want to use it, I find that Dish Remote access says my receivers are not connected to my local home network.

On my 922 slingplayer, I've checked the broadband settting from the receiver, it says it's fine. I can ping the rcvrs IP address from my pc. I can run the Apps on the receiver, and everything on the receiver appears to work fine.

I spent a very long time on chat with Dish support, to essentially check the broadband status, reset a lot things. After that didn't fix it, he essentially gave up and said there was nothing else he could do, no one he could forward me to. I asked for any info he had on router setup requirements, since I supsect it has to do with dish's ability access into my network since the receiver seems to have no problem communicating out. All he could provide me were the PC specs needed to run the dish remote access player.

Anyone have any ideas on what to check on the router? I tried putting the 922's IP address into the DMZ, which didn't work. Not sure what else to try at this point, other than switching to DirecTV :)

Yep, UPnP is enabled. Everything else on my home network has no problems accessing the internet. And I'm assuming that the fact I can run the Apps from my 922 means, and when I run the broadband diagnostic on it and it passes, that it is connecting via broadband (but could be wrong there..)

Also, after resetting a few times, it did show up as green on Dish Remote Access for a moment (and uploaded the nickname I created for the receiver on the receiver itself), but then as soon as I tried to access anything on Dish Remote Access it lost the connection and no longer sees it. I'm assuming that the resets are causing the 922 to establish a connection to the Dish Online server, which my network is allowing, and so Dish thinks it can access it. But when Dish tries to access my receiver, when it is not a response to a request from my receiver, thay my network is blocking it. In fact, I don't quite understand how dish gets their system to work on any home network without setting up something on the router to allow external requests that are not responses to a request from within my network to get through.

a few other notes in case anything rings a bell....

My router is setup with:

NAT enabled
Dynamic Routing (RIP) disabled
DDNS disabled
SPI Firewall protection enabled
Filter Anonymous Internet Requests enabled
Filter IDENT (Port 113) enabled
IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP Passthrough enabled
No port or port range forwarding setup

Receiver connects to a Linksys WRT320N router which connects to my Comcast cable modem.

I have configured anything special on the router for the receiver (can't find any info or support about anything that needs to be done to the router to allow access.)

I apologize..I don't think I am clear. Let me just say this. Mine was configured with CAT5 cable point to point (receiver to router). You would think this would be optimum, or I would. However, after that arrangement would not keep a consistent broadband connection, Dish provided me with the Sling Powerline bridges and I tried that with some improvement but there was still constant lapses in the connection. The Netgear Wireless Adapler that Dish has available which plugs into one of the USB ports on the reciever actually has been the best of the three options mentioned. Almost flawless. If you are not setup with such, I would suggest giving that a try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)