Need new phone, have stupid questions..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Last night, my beloved Nexus One was involved in a horrible accident, leaving it severely crippled and unable to function in our society. To put it in mathematical form, 21 month old + Nexus One + 12 flights of wooden stairs != Good Things.

In any case I need a new phone, and I am strongly considering the Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket on AT&T. I have 2 concerns though:

1. I have unlimited data currently and I really want to keep it. I'm afraid they may not allow me to since it is a 4G LTE phone. Would I have a better chance of keeping it if I go into an AT&T store and talk with the seller, or would I have better luck going through a 3rd party like Best Buy or Amazon and bypassing AT&T?

2. I really would prefer to have this phone ASAP as opposed to waiting for it to be shipped, even though often they are sent fast. On AT&T's website it is listed as $250, which is a little steep for me (ironic for me to say considering I threw down $529 for my Nexus One.) I know the price is different depending on where you live, for example if you get it in Manhattan it costs $150 instead of $250. Could I use this as a bargaining chip, telling them that I want it for $150 instead and that I don't think it's fair that I have to pay extra for a phone that can't use the 4G LTE speeds advertised and threaten to walk to Verizon (who HAS LTE available in the area?)

TIA

let the Nexus one die and move on to either a LTE device(Sky Rocket) or check Craigslist for a Nexus S with AT&T bands

let the Nexus one die and move on to either a LTE device(Sky Rocket) or check Craigslist for a Nexus S with AT&T bands

Oh the Nexus One is currently in a vegetative state. The screen basically died. The touch part still works but I can hardly see anything so it's basically useless.

I was planning on getting the Sky Rocket but as I said, I want to keep my unlimited data and I want $100 off because I think it's backwards that I'm being charged extra for a phone with a technology on it I can't use currently (LTE.) I know it's discounted in LTE areas because they're trying to make them more appealing, but I think the fact that they're LTE phones should be enough to make them more appealing. To me, AT&T's strategy would be like if you went to a nightclub, and you could either get a standard pass or get a VIP pass. The VIP pass gives you more access to the club, yet it is cheaper than the regular pass. I also have been a valid, paying customer for nearly 6 years with no account problems, so I think that may work in my favor as well.

It was five years ago, but I politely talked to one of their service people, and discussed my desire for a Motorola RAZR V3i handset.
Eventually, they gave me a $200 credit to my account to go out and buy my own.
At the time, the handsets were $225 to 250, but I appreciated the offer.
And they didn't extend my contract.

I was up to speed on the V3i coming to Cingular (may the name rest in peace), and waited a few months.
Eventually, I picked up one at CompUSA (another dead soldier) for around $125, as I recall.
In the end, I made $75 on the deal, got my phone, and was one happy customer.

I had been with them, giving them no troubles for maybe 5 years at that time.
Could you expect similar kind service for yourself?
I haven't a clue, especially since they became AT&T.
I'm grandfathered into a sweet account from many years back, and really have had no need to talk to 'em for a long time!

I ended up with a mixed bag. I got the Samsung Skyrocket for the asking price of $250, but I got the bundle package for free, and the biggest thing was that I got to keep my unlimited data plan without even asking for it. I probably would not have been able to keep it with a third party vendor, and the guy said it seems to be a in store thing mostly, and that online and in other places they basically force you to abandon it. Overall I'm satisfied with it. The faux g speeds are good, and the faster processor really shines. A nice, if rather unexpected gift to myself.

Sent from my Samsung Skyrocket using SatelliteGuys iPhone app.

Now call up and complain that you saw it in an ad for $150 in wherever-town and they will usually give you a credit.

You will be happy with the Skyrocket. I have had mine for about a month now and its a huge improvement over my Captivate. You can get throttled pretty quickly at LTE speeds. I have seen them send out the dreaded "top 5% message" to people who have only used 3.5GB for the cycle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts