Need opinions on that dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Remington

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Gatineau, Qc.
I found that dish , the house is for sale. The dish is very old and not in use for many years obviously. There's some "bumps" in the lower part. / and rust. The price is my time to take it off.

What do you guys think? Anything good on that?

thank you.

Attachments

• dish1 copy.jpg
    dish1 copy.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 254
  • dish2 copy.jpg
    dish2 copy.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 194
  • dish3 copy.jpg
    dish3 copy.jpg
    678.3 KB · Views: 196
  • dish4 copy.jpg
    dish4 copy.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 193
  • dish5 copy.jpg
    dish5 copy.jpg
    691 KB · Views: 211
Remington said:
I found that dish , the house is for sale. The dish is very old and not in use for many years obviously. There's some "bumps" in the lower part. / and rust. The price is my time to take it off.

What do you guys think? Anything good on that?

thank you.

Jump on it , if for nothing else than a learning experience and / or spare parts .

Wyr

Grab that dish a 4dtv and slave a dvb to it and you will be channel surfing and scaning like crazy :) looks like a good dish, is it c/ku? if not would be worth it to upgrade.
Good Luck!

tdti1 said:
Grab that dish a 4dtv and slave a dvb to it and you will be channel surfing and scaning like crazy :) looks like a good dish, is it c/ku? if not would be worth it to upgrade.
Good Luck!

I don't know if it's C/Ku. :)
You think the reception would be ok with the damaged lower part?

Give the mesh the "No.2 Lead Pencil Test" If a No.2 lead pencil can be inserted thru the mesh openings, it's no very effective for Ku reception. If the pencil won't go thru, you've found a jewel.

The irregularities in the surface would have a slight affect on the efficiency of the dish, but you'd probably have a hard time realizing it in picture quality when you get it hooked up to a receiver.

Harold.

Yes you are right, when it's free you can't really be wrong anyways.

I got another email today, it seems to me a very good deal. :) Free like the first one but this one is in excellent working condition including a GI i450 receiver, UHF remote, wiring, etc.

The guy just warned me it wont be easy (see pictures) to remove. Also, I never did it so I don't know if I need some special tools. Whats the best way, remove piece by piece and bring them down with a rope I guess?

Attachments

• cband.jpg
    cband.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 231
  • cband 2.jpg
    cband 2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 216
Make sure to be very carefull and to use a safety rope for yourself. It only takes an instant to fall or some part of the dish to sway to push you off the roof. Remember that dish is VERY heavy and can easily push you off the roof if it starts to move.
Looks to be a great find.

I'd get both dishes. That way you can assemble the best parts from both. Like dish, LNB and actuator. The number of parts depends on the way the dish was make. You have the mesh panels, support struts, polar mount but mostly nuts and bolts. Disassembled, it will fit in a pickup truck. You'll need standard sockets and wrenches up to 3/4 inch, a pair of wirecutters and a large adjustable wrench. Also, bring some penetrating oil in case some bolts are rusty. The dish on the ground should be easy. The dish on the tall pole will take some effort. Instead of trying to disassemble it on the roof, I'd see if there was a way to use a pulley or block and tackle to lower the dish and pole together as an assembly to the ground. Something like tying a rope to the dish mount then cut the lower end of the pole and slowly tilt it to an open area on the ground. Once close to the ground, block it and disassemble the dish there. Either way, it will not be quick. And like the others said, Safety First! Getting a free dish is great but not at the expense of getting yourself or others hurt.

Remington said:
Yes you are right, when it's free you can't really be wrong anyways.

I got another email today, it seems to me a very good deal. :) Free like the first one but this one is in excellent working condition including a GI i450 receiver, UHF remote, wiring, etc.

The guy just warned me it wont be easy (see pictures) to remove. Also, I never did it so I don't know if I need some special tools. Whats the best way, remove piece by piece and bring them down with a rope I guess?

The one mounted on the ground is good to take, the one on the house I think the customer needs to pay you to take it off your roof!

A customer gave me a Dish like that several years ago with the agreement I could keep the Dish and receiver.

Sad to say, it was too dangeous for me to get the Dish down from the roof all in 1 piece, and the bolts where so rusted I could not take it apart in smaller pieces. I decided at that point it was not worth my time, so I got out the Saws All and cut it up into several smaller pieces. I was gonna put it next to the curb, when I realized the Dish was made of aluminum. Took it to the scrap yard and got $45 for it :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)