Need power supply board for akai tv

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
I have a 42" akai lcd tv. The power supply board is shot.
the part number for the board is PSM 250-404.

The tv model is LC420w02.

I have had this thing i think 4 or 5 years. I like the tv and would replace the board if i can. I have had no luck on ebay or discount-merchant.com

these things have reputation for failing. inside the tv with the rear cover removed it has "phillips" and "LG" decals...i wonder if a phillips board may work.

The board ratings are as follows

Phihong switching power supply
model psm-250-404
Input 90-264 Vac 50-60 hz, 3.5A
output 24vdc 8.5 A, 5 vdc 4.5A, 5Vsb 0.75A

Attachments

• IMG00074-20100214-0208.jpg
    IMG00074-20100214-0208.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
never mind...i found out that this board is not in production anymore. several people on fixya.com and some other fix it yourself sites have said that akai is no help. ebay does not have the board.

I have this tv and if any of you need parts from it let me know. i am pretty sure the power supply board is the problem but it may not be. according to the symptoms that others on different websites reported mine has a bad power supply.

the tv itself is in perfect cosmetic shape. i kind of hate this because five years or so ago i paid over 2000.00 dollars for this tv. it has a thick glass screen protector also.
speakers are detachable and sound nice.

guess i will head out this week and try to find a good deal on a toshiba lcd or sony bravia.

Whatever you do don't buy Sony.
I bought A SONY Wega Sxrd tv 2 years ago but all of them had Optical Blocks issues last year they replaced mine with a new one that had the same problem so 3 months later I have the same problem the yellow stain appeared again.
Last year they told me that they extended the warranty till June 2010 but now they tell me that my the warranty expired in 2009.
My Sony Blue ray player also died after just one year the mainboard went bad.
All Japanese brands have gone to bad quality now most of their stuff die after 2 or 3 years and it's always the board and they don't make spare boards for their crappy stuff either!!.
So whatever you do avoid the Japanese brands because they used to be good but now they are only intrested in selling us crap so we'll buy from them every year go with Philips or Samsung and for peace of mind try to buy the most extended warranty you can.
Make sure you can get at least 3 years because if you don't you're gonna find yourself in the same situation that people at my work find themselves in that they buy a $2000 tv only to have to throw it away after 1.5 yrs because the board is fried and the manifacturers don't make any spare boards for defective units.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)