Need Receiver Recommendation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

njb

Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Hi,
I have an RCA dwd490re receiver for my direct tv system. It has Tivo (35 hours) and 2 tuners for my dual LNB dish. One of the tuners is shot, so I am just getting a single signal and I am unable to record while watching another program. A satellite installer confirmed that today after he checked the dish and the lines to the receiver and we ran a system test and rebooted.

I just read that this is a chronic problem with the RCA receivers (I wish I knew that before purchasing the unit initially). The guy whose RCA kept quitting on him replaced it with a Dishplayer 522 dual tuner that has a lifetime warrantee. Does anyone know if it can be used on a direct tv system?

Anyway, can someone either recommend a receiver with the same features that is more reliable or a non-biased website that has recommendations of receivers for direct tv system?

Thanks in advance
njb

The 522 can not be used on the DirecTV system. Each provider has a proprietary encryption scheme on their channels so the receivers are not interchangeable.

How old is your RCA? If it is less than a year it should be covered under warranty. You could also purchase DirecTV's insurance program. You would then have to wait 30 days to turn it in but it would be cheaper than buying a new one. If you don't like that idea call DirecTV and get a hold of their customer retention department. They might help you out. Keep in mind they aren't required to if you don't have the protection plan and you are out of warranty but if you threaten to go to a competitor they might offer you something.

As far as recommendations go all the DirecTivos are pretty much the same on the inside. I have had a Phillips DirecTivo for over 2 years and have not had any problems.

njb said:
Hi,
I have an RCA dwd490re receiver for my direct tv system. It has Tivo (35 hours) and 2 tuners for my dual LNB dish. One of the tuners is shot, so I am just getting a single signal and I am unable to record while watching another program. A satellite installer confirmed that today after he checked the dish and the lines to the receiver and we ran a system test and rebooted.

I just read that this is a chronic problem with the RCA receivers (I wish I knew that before purchasing the unit initially). The guy whose RCA kept quitting on him replaced it with a Dishplayer 522 dual tuner that has a lifetime warrantee. Does anyone know if it can be used on a direct tv system?

Anyway, can someone either recommend a receiver with the same features that is more reliable or a non-biased website that has recommendations of receivers for direct tv system?

Thanks in advance
njb

I believe this model is actually an UTV and not a TIVO.

The 490 RE is a ultimate, you can exchange for a referb at RCA and see if they have any waranty on the new one. Otherwise your only option is to change to a TIVO Model. If you can live without PIP or the internet then that is what I would do.

Hi,
Thanks for your replies.

The unit is out of warrantee and a replacement unit(refurbished) would be $150 with a 90 day warrantee - forget that option.

I am new at this and just found out that it is an Ultimate TV unit and not a Tivo - sorry for the confusion. I never use the PIP or the net on the TV, so I should be fine going over to Tivo.

Thanks for your recommendation on the Phillips unit.
njb

The last i knew D* would replace your UTV with a tivo for free just because it is obsolete.Now this might have changed in the last year but i wouldn't hurt to call and inquire about this.

Let me start by saying that I work for an RCA distributor so my views will be biased:

The Ultimate TV piece you have, the DWD490, is obsolete, and a complete waste of space. Microsoft, RCA, & DIRECTV never were able to come together to get anything near a good situation with the Ultimate piece, then throw in SONY and it got worse.

What subscription package do you enjoy? If you have been a Plus subscriber for more than 18 consecutive months, I would call DTV at 800 DIRECTV and tell them you have 2 options, 1, that DTV provide you with a free TIVO to replace the outdated system which RCA will not support, or go to DISH as a new subscriber. If the CSR tells you to go to dish, ask to speak to their manager, escalate 2x and you will have soemone who can pull the trigger, but I bet they will have done it before then.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)