Need Replacement DVR w/o tech coming out

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cts33fan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Is there any way I can get DTV to replace my failing DVR short of either breaking it myself or having the tech come out? It is an old HR21-700 and I've already switched to an external drive to keep it going. The issue is I take care of my dad, who is old and frail and doesn't like strangers at the house. It is slow as hell, and is not receiving any signal on 109 which is keeping the guide data from coming in. This is the only one that does this, and I have two other HD-DVR's. You would think after being with them for 15 years this July, and the STB being 5+ years old they would be willing to replace it. Instead they say I have to wait until August of 2016 because I have added a receiver for another room this year. I thought every 2 years I could upgrade my boxes?

This isn't an upgrade, it's a replacement. Just call back and say your HR21 is now not powering upat all. Remove the external drive!
And it's 119 that carries the guide data, are you getting no signal at all on 119?

the 119 is an oddball satellite to pick up. compared to the 99,101,103 its all by its lonesome in a corner. however considering the age of the reciever i'd still try to game a new one.

Looking for ways to do this without D* coming out ...
Are you looking to upgrade, another 2 year commitment OK ?

If so (I know this is drastic, but you wanted ways to do it), Get a HR24 from an online store, Solid signal comes to mind, set it up, activate it and call D* to remove the HR21.

Of course you will have to pay for the HR24.

I agree that the best way is to call DTV and tell them it won't power up. They won't want anything that old back so I wouldn't even worry about it.

Doubtful you'll get a 24 but you will get something newer than a 21.

I agree that the best way is to call DTV and tell them it won't power up. They won't want anything that old back so I wouldn't even worry about it.

Doubtful you'll get a 24 but you will get something newer than a 21.
an HR24 is guaranteed!

Is there any way I can get DTV to replace my failing DVR short of either breaking it myself or having the tech come out? It is an old HR21-700 and I've already switched to an external drive to keep it going. The issue is I take care of my dad, who is old and frail and doesn't like strangers at the house. It is slow as hell, and is not receiving any signal on 109 which is keeping the guide data from coming in. This is the only one that does this, and I have two other HD-DVR's. You would think after being with them for 15 years this July, and the STB being 5+ years old they would be willing to replace it. Instead they say I have to wait until August of 2016 because I have added a receiver for another room this year. I thought every 2 years I could upgrade my boxes?
There are reason why ONE receiver may exhibit loss of guide data and not the others. The fact that you are having loss of guide data requires a visit from a tech to either re-peak the dish, relocate the dish or change the LNB from a 5 to a 3, or put in a SWM system either 5 or 3 LNB since SWM ALAWAYS gets the guide data from the 101

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts