Status
Please reply by conversation.

acuevas

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Orange County
Hey All,

I'm looking for ideas for making a simple satellite dish stand. I know you can buy a tri-pod ( I use one for testing ) or a square metal contraption of sorts for the bigger dishes.

However, I'm looking for a simple stand that I can just prop on my roof and hold down a 30"- 36" dish with a couple of blocks. Something I can craft with materials from the local hardware store or something that I can make by simply using the materials found around the home. Thanks.

Hey All,

I'm looking for ideas for making a simple satellite dish stand. I know you can buy a tri-pod ( I use one for testing ) or a square metal contraption of sorts for the bigger dishes.

However, I'm looking for a simple stand that I can just prop on my roof and hold down a 30"- 36" dish with a couple of blocks. Something I can craft with materials from the local hardware store or something that I can make by simply using the materials found around the home. Thanks.

You haven't told us if your roof is sloped or flat and I guess it's sloped. Question: do you own or rent?

If you're considering setting a 36" dish on a sloped roof with concrete blocks I suggest to think first, with any strong wind, that dish just might sail away down to your driveway (on top of your car) or in your swimming pool.

If you have a sloped roof and don't want to poke holes in the rooftop then consider mounting to the eave with a homemade bracket as I have done for a friend. Look at these pics:

SatelliteGuys Photo Gallery - MISC PROJECTS - Powered by PhotoPost
SatelliteGuys Photo Gallery - MISC PROJECTS - Powered by PhotoPost
SatelliteGuys Photo Gallery - Twin Dishes - Powered by PhotoPost

The multi-hole angle iron is available at any hardware store and so is the hardware used to bolt it together, the pipe too.

Good luck with your endeavor :)

Thanks McGuyver,

That's an interesting contraption you came up with. Yes, my patio roof is sloped slightly. I rent and do not want to punch holes on the roof. How do you plumb your bracket? I did not see any swivel to it.

non-penetrating roof mount

To adjust the mast for the pitch of the roof you change the position of the four conduit braces.
50 MPH winds and no movement.
The dish in the background uses same hardware but a 2' x 2' handi panel from lowes.

Attachments

• Non-Penetrating roof mount.pdf
    540.8 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:
Thanks McGuyver,

That's an interesting contraption you came up with. Yes, my patio roof is sloped slightly. I rent and do not want to punch holes on the roof. How do you plumb your bracket? I did not see any swivel to it.

I simply measured the slope of the eave with a protractor or you can use a piece of cardboard and a straight ruler and draw the angle on the cardboard. The flat bar brackets on the side were cut to length for the measured slope.
The bolt holes were a bit larger than the bolts which leaves a little bit for adjustment. If need be, you can drill the holes larger if you find that you're slighly off plumb. It's really quite simple. You can always use wood putty to fill holes in wood but not so easy on a roof. Hope this helps :cool:

Unistrut

It sounds like you might be looking for a product known as unistrut. Unistrut is essentially a grown up version of an erector set. We use it alot in Mechanical engineering for crafting custom stands and mounts for electrical and mechanical equipment. It can stand a fair amount of loading, and with a simple hacksaw and store bought fasteners, you can craft whatever you want.

Do check the stress tables to make sure you select large enough pieces, and make sure to calculate your ballast right. If there is a Fastenall store near you you can buy it off the shelf. They have it in Vermont, so I'm sure you can get it anywhere. We get everything last.

here are the steps you need to consider

1 Check your area max wind speed (public county records)
2 get the full on dish wind loading
3 Measure leverage to the base, consider mounting dish as low as possible
4 Calculate weight required, insufficient can cause untold damage
5 Check roof loading for weight required to include your weight while installing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts