Need some advice on Antenna set up please

mbiddy

Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Georgia
My dad is on a fixed income and would really like to turn off his current satellite provider and try installing an antenna to get the free channels over the air. The problem is that he lives quite a distance from the broadcasting towers and I am not really sure what he could receive with an antenna. I ran a report on his address on TV fool and it looks kinda bleak. Can someone take a look at this report for me and make suggestions on whether it is worth it to try with an antenna and if so, what would you recommend? Thank you in advance for you help! (I am not sure how to add the URL for the TV Fool report... can anyone tell me how? sorry.. new to this)

Michele

My dad is on a fixed income and would really like to turn off his current satellite provider and try installing an antenna to get the free channels over the air. The problem is that he lives quite a distance from the broadcasting towers and I am not really sure what he could receive with an antenna. I ran a report on his address on TV fool and it looks kinda bleak. Can someone take a look at this report for me and make suggestions on whether it is worth it to try with an antenna and if so, what would you recommend? Thank you in advance for you help! (I am not sure how to add the URL for the TV Fool report... can anyone tell me how? sorry.. new to this)

Michele
Simplest is give us your fathers zip code.

Michele

you should be able to just copy/paste the url from tvfool here so we can just click on it

I have tried to copy/past, but I keep getting this " [h=3]The following errors occurred with your submission[/h]
  1. Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words."

The zip code is 30120... thanks

For that zip code I come up with Cartersville GA. There are some large hills or small mountains to the east that can block most of the stations depending on where you live in town. Even in a decent spot there are still some Atlanta stations in the negative dB that would require a serious antenna to have a shot at. You have some VHF-Hi stations along with the UHF so you could go with a large all in one like a Antennacraft HBU-55 or Winegard HD7697. Another option would be to install one antenna for UHF and one for VHF. This way would get you the most gain but it would require a little more effort to mount two large antennas on the same mast. An Antennas Direct 91XG for UHF, Antennacraft Y10-7-13 for VHF and a Pico UVSJ combiner would be the cheapest setup for the most gain at about $100.

I agree with bob2011 you are in a difficult reception area. A DISH system with the welcome pak would come in at $19.99 plus taxes not as cheap as free but much easier to setup and more reliable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)