need some antenna guidance

sharp_man

Original poster
May 26, 2008
I am currently using one of those Terk HDTVo antennas on my roof, and tuning with my LC46D64U, and the results are lame at best. There are four-five channels which i need to haul in better:
WCTV-DT 6.1CBS
WTLH-DT 49.1FOX
WTWC-DT 40.1or WALB-DT 10.1 NBC (preferably the first, but the latter is stronger)
WTXL-DT 27.1 ABC

distances are around 40 miles

current strengths are:
CBS: 70%ish
FOX:50-60%ish
NBC:40-50%ish
ABC:30-40%ish (the worst)

If i am not mistaken, I think I need at VHF/UHF because of the 6.1, but according to the tv fool, its real channel is 46, but the station always says "channel 6".
If this is the kind I need, i am thinking CM3020 and a CM7778 pre-amp (being budget minded).

When it works, it looks awesome, but it is just always on the fringe of cutting out and often does, so i want to boost my strengths with another antenna (i have tried moving this thing all around my roof to no avail). My RG6 run is 50ft, and it cant be any shorter.

What do yall thinK, UHF/VHF or just UHF (6.1 is a big deal)? Does the 3020 seem like a good solution? i could care less how big it is, i just want results. I tried to attach the tv fool results, but i couldnt get the file to upload...

Thank you so much in advance

Tyler

You currently need a VHF/UHF antenna. Channel 40 is using DT 2 (VHF) for it's Broadcasting and the PSIP stream is showing it as 40.1 & 40.2. It may go back to 40 on February 17..???? You also have a Georgia PBS currently on DT 8 (VHF). You could get by with a UHF only, if WTWC goes to DT 40, and WCTV stays on DT 46 (and doesn't return to DT 6), and you don't care for the GPB station?

Tallahassee is your best bet - 6 stations all UHF in 2008 except WABW-DT PBS on channel 6.

If those 6 suit you I'd get an Antennas Direct 91XG for UHF and a channel 6 yagi and join them with a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp.

If you want more stations you need to go with a rotator and a wider band VHF antenna, but nearly all of the alternates are duplicates.

I live in Killearn Estates in Tallahassee. The over the air signals for my Dish 722 for my HD channels nearly drove me nuts. I tried every antenna and called everbody I could call for help. Finally someone told me to move the antenna around to see if some spots give you a better signal. I have a deck on the back side of my house with trees growing trough it. When I moved the antennal pole eight inches from the inside of the deck rail to the outside of the deck rail, the signal for Channel 40 (Digital Channel 2) went from a ZERO to 100. I even get WFSU-TV which is in the opposite direction. I had tried every other location and Channel 40 had been zero. I will tell you that Channel 27 seems to be on some low power cause I only get around 70 most of the time. The others are at near 100. You definitely need a UHF-VHF if you are trying to get Channel 40 which is Channel 2 on digital in Tallahassee. Good Luck!

Thanks for the posts everyone! Channel 40 is DT 2?? My TV tuner says its 40.1, is there something i'm missing here, its always been 40.1? Yeah 27 is really low power, i can haul it in at 40% at best in Valdosta, and thats really the one that gives the most trouble. Hope my ol' Terk (Turd) works tomorrow night, LOST finale is tomorrow, and its awesome in HD!!

So, any thoughts on the CM3020?, seems to be a good balance between performance and price, as well as the 7778 pre-amp?

Keep em coming guys, thanks again!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)