Need some basic info on DTV HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

999-FINE

Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I'm a DTV customer considering buying my first HD set. I'm lucky to live in a rural setting where cable is not an option.

I've read that DTV '' downrez's'' the signal. My question is, which HD set resolution is optimal for a downrezed signal. I don't want to spring for a 1080p set if the picture quality is going to be unable to support that level of clarity. On he other hand, is the DTV HD signal even worthy of spending the extra bucks to buy new sets, DVR, etc.?

I'm a DTV customer considering buying my first HD set. I'm lucky to live in a rural setting where cable is not an option.

I've read that DTV '' downrez's'' the signal. My question is, which HD set resolution is optimal for a downrezed signal. I don't want to spring for a 1080p set if the picture quality is going to be unable to support that level of clarity. On he other hand, is the DTV HD signal even worthy of spending the extra bucks to buy new sets, DVR, etc.?

Boy, now theres a question you should get a wide variety of responses out of. Everyone has a different opinion as to what looks good, great ect. and keep in mind everyones set ups are different and their eyesight too.

No national TV is being broadcast in 1080p and common thougths is , it's too expensive to have all of them change.

Overall, I think (note, this is MY opinion) that 1080p has twice the information as a 1080i broadcast does, therefore, if the TV has a strong ability to show and upgraded picture, then yes a 1080p set would be a good choice.
Personally it all depends on what you can afford and want to spend.

I am looking forward to seeing the Pioneer Plazma 1080p.

Jimbo

Last edited:
:welcome

Thats an interesting question and really depends on your TV. I have a 1080i LCD but my directv picture looks better in 720p mode. Motion is a bit better. So the only way to really answer the question is to experiment yourself. If you want to spring for the extra cost of 1080p then its a good idea as HD DVD, Blu Ray, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 support 1080p. All cable and sat providers do not and there are no plans to support in the near future.

If you are on a tight budget, there are great TV's out there that only do 1080i or 720p that work great. I have a Samsung CRT that only does 1080i but I think its one of the best pictures out there. CRT's are going away and are big and bulky, but I really love the picture on this thing. And it was only 700 bucks 2 years ago.

Thanks for the replies. I muddied the waters by mentioning 1080p as an example. I just want to optimize my image quality and not waste money on an HD set that overmatches the quality of the signal. I'm gravitating toward 720p as a middle of the road approach. I'm assuming I'll be able to see a big difference over my current, non Hd setup.

Thanks for the replies. I muddied the waters by mentioning 1080p as an example. I just want to optimize my image quality and not waste money on an HD set that overmatches the quality of the signal. I'm gravitating toward 720p as a middle of the road approach. I'm assuming I'll be able to see a big difference over my current, non Hd setup.

Thats a definite. I use a small 10" combo Directv/LCD that I experimented with the integrated SD tuner and an HD feed using composite downgraded. I found that the downgraded HD picture was much better then then the SD channel. You could even see the difference on a 10" screen.

So it depends on a ton of factors. Budget is the main one. But size, type and source play a factor. I would worry more about inputs and if you are going to be limiting yourself. Like if you have 2 HDMI sources but only 1 on the TV. That will force you to get a switcher.

As for 720p versus 1080i, there are a good deal of TV's that do both. You dont have to decide which is best until you get the TV and hook it up. You can then decide if you want to view it 720p or 1080i. In fact that may change from channel to channel. The HR20 does native so it switches when you switch the channel.

So have fun with the research and take a look around. I do a 2 step approach. Look at sets in stores to see what looks good in person. Then research online to see feedback from others. You cant just do in store viewing since their configurations can be sometimes misleading. Either way, moving to HD will be the best thing you do.

:welcome

Thats an interesting question and really depends on your TV. I have a 1080i LCD but my directv picture looks better in 720p mode. Motion is a bit better. So the only way to really answer the question is to experiment yourself. If you want to spring for the extra cost of 1080p then its a good idea as HD DVD, Blu Ray, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 support 1080p. All cable and sat providers do not and there are no plans to support in the near future.

If you are on a tight budget, there are great TV's out there that only do 1080i or 720p that work great. I have a Samsung CRT that only does 1080i but I think its one of the best pictures out there. CRT's are going away and are big and bulky, but I really love the picture on this thing. And it was only 700 bucks 2 years ago.
Who makes a 1080i LCD tv ?

A bunch of companies make a 1080i LCD., but a lot are going to 1080p now.
I've never seen a LCD tv that has a native resolution of 1080i. 720p yes 768p yes 1080p yes,even 480i and 480p.But never 1080i. They may accept a 1080i signal,but they always convert to the tv's native setting. Just give me a model no. and then you can prove me wrong.

There is no such thing as a native 1080i LCD, DLP, LCOS, or plasma display. All such displays by nature are progressive scanned. They will accept a 1080i signal and convert it to progressive scanned. (In fact some of the first 1080p sets would only accept a 1080i signal and internally convert it to 1080p.) The only display that will display a true 1080i picture is a CRT. The big advantage of a 1080p set is that it will display all 1080 lines in the 1080i signal without having to convert it to 720p.

There is no such thing as a native 1080i LCD, DLP, LCOS, or plasma display. All such displays by nature are progressive scanned. They will accept a 1080i signal and convert it to progressive scanned. (In fact some of the first 1080p sets would only accept a 1080i signal and internally convert it to 1080p.) The only display that will display a true 1080i picture is a CRT. The big advantage of a 1080p set is that it will display all 1080 lines in the 1080i signal without having to convert it to 720p.

Thank you !:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)