Need some D* info

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Harry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Las Cruces, NM
I am currently an E* subscriber. I am disappointed in their HD package and dropped it after the Voom channels were picked up. Now, I am very interested in getting ESPNU but E* does not carry it and are not saying if they will pickup or when. :mad: Since FB season is only a month or so away, I am considering D* because of ESPNU and I think they will improve their HD packages.

My question. I keep seeing posts that D*'s PQ is not as good as E*'s and that the guide and channel numbering are poor. Are these valid complaints?

I have a Hatachi HD set and use the 811. There are issues with upconverting SD to HD but overall, it does a nice job so I know not to expect an HD picture from an SD source.

I am quite frustrated with E* and wonder if it is worth switching to D*.

Honest opinions welcome! Thanks.

PQ is a very subjective subject. There are so many factors that go into how the picture is displayed on your tv that it is hard to make an objective comparison. I can honestly say that at the moment E* has and edge on D* in HD PQ. D* is currently compressing their HD channels. As far as SD goes both providers use different encoding methods. With E* you will notice more of a softness to the overall picture but with D* the picture is sharper but sometimes contains digital blocking. Personally I feel that D* provides superior receivers that are less buggy. However YMMV....

I have had D* for over eight years and never had any problems(one stb went dead and they replaced it next day air)We have had friends move to this area and some opted for satellite service a few went with E* in the begining but all are with D* now except for one.Thier biggest complaint was the CSR's at E* and some said it was PQ and the overall service from E*.As stated above all are with D* now except one and happy,guess it depends on many factors.We have a card from E* right now for free install of up to 4 HD recivers free HBO/Showtime for 6 months,free HD pak for 6 months,and service to America's 120 for 19.99 for three months and a 49.99 billing credit,to bad it's in the trash

After the demise of VOOM, I picked up E* because they had the best HD PQ, the 942 HD DVR, and the VOOM HD Pak. I have seen both and IMO: HD PQ is much better on E* than it is on D* (this is a well documented fact) - The 942 and enhanced PG are outstanding, but certainly not perfect - VOOM HD Pak has been a tremendous disappointment since very little new content has been added the past three months (old stuff they have been showing well over a year).

E* and D* have both announced their plans to be the HD Leader...yet, to date, not much has changed; it's business as usual. Me? I had to switch providers since VOOM went out of business. If I were you, I would wait a few months and see what D* has to offer when, and if, they ever get SpaceWay1 & 2 up in the air and operational. Lastly, have you thought about ordering the ESPN Gameplan? The entirely season (16 weeks) has been discounted $20 (Early Bird Special); it's only $99 if you order soon. You can always jump over to D* after football season since they will most likely be giving away from HD receivers.

Also, I have two 811s and a 942. The 811s look pretty good, but IMO the PQ on the 942 is even better. Also, the PG on the 942 is 1000x better than the 811. I would highly suggest the 942/962 should you decide to stay with E*.

Thanks to everyone for all of the info.

Until the HD packages get better, I'll be content with my HD via OTA. I agree the E* Voom channels are not "compelling" (For me at least) so I will forgo that for now. Hopefully the HD packages will get better in E* and D*.

I did hear back from E* and they say they are in "active negociations" for ESPNU and CSTV. yawn... So who knows when they'll get it.

Sounds like the PQ is not that big of a deal between the two. I'll hold on a bit longer to see if E* comes around. If not, I'll make the jump. Is interesting that in my area, I am virtually surrounded by D* dishes. (I'm the only E* that I can see) So that must say something!

Harry said:
Sounds like the PQ is not that big of a deal between the two.

HD PQ of E* is much better than E*'s. I would wait to see if it improves. You should be concerned about it because D* will require you to sign a contract and buy equipment. The contract has early termination fees. S0 you need to make sure that the PQ improves before signing up. Check out the resolutions and bitrates here : http://www.widemovies.com/dfwbitrate.html You will find that ALL 1080i material is downrezzed from 1920 to 1280 and some of the bitrates are lower than suberbit DVD, i.e. 9.8 mbps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)