Need some DIRT assistance on HW upgrades

bxl4

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
Bainbridge Island, WA
With my aging Hopper/sling and original Joey, I am thinking of a changeout to support my 4k TVs.

If length of time as a customer (since Fall of '97) and pristine payment history counts, I have been "a good boy." What kind of upgrade offers might be available to me for my 2, 4k tv home?

Thanks for your help.

Bill Lemon

Dish since 2003, my upgrade last year was $100, off which they would not budge but they did wave the $95 tech visit fee.

With my aging Hopper/sling and original Joey, I am thinking of a changeout to support my 4k TVs.

If length of time as a customer (since Fall of '97) and pristine payment history counts, I have been "a good boy." What kind of upgrade offers might be available to me for my 2, 4k tv home?

Thanks for your help.

Bill Lemon

Call your local retailer if you have a good one.

Thanks for your help.

Bill Lemon

It is 100% possible if you have been a good boy.... to get the price lock AND a new Hopper 3 for a two year commitment. I know because I was offered it though I kept my VIP receivers but of course took my second two year discount. You may need to call retention.

tenor.gif

It is 100% possible if you have been a good boy.... to get the price lock AND a new Hopper 3 for a two year commitment. I know because I was offered it though I kept my VIP receivers but of course took my second two year discount. You may need to call retention.

tenor.gif

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks. I'll call customer retention next week. Final question, I intend to do a self-install (I know, THAT might be a whole 'nutha thing) and want to confirm that to replace my old Hopper/sling and 1st gen Joey, this would be a simple matter of disconnect/reconnect the coax feeds to/from the new Hopper 3 and similarly, disconnect the coax feed from the old Joey and connect the Joey 4k. Add power and initialize. Is it anything more complicated than that?

I did my initial install for the old Hopper/Joey, node and the dish install/aim/etc. so am not at all intimidated by any complexity but wanted to confirm my expectations for this transition. Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

Thanks. I'll call customer retention next week. Final question, I intend to do a self-install (I know, THAT might be a whole 'nutha thing) and want to confirm that to replace my old Hopper/sling and 1st gen Joey, this would be a simple matter of disconnect/reconnect the coax feeds to/from the new Hopper 3 and similarly, disconnect the coax feed from the old Joey and connect the Joey 4k. Add power and initialize. Is it anything more complicated than that?

I did my initial install for the old Hopper/Joey, node and the dish install/aim/etc. so am not at all intimidated by any complexity but wanted to confirm my expectations for this transition. Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

A Hopper 3 requires the Hybrid technology so you will have to either change your LNB or add a DPH42 switch. You also will have to change out the node for a hub.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Unless you have a moving reason not to I would let them to it.

(Is that meaning cloaked enough?)
This is a hard wife acceptance factor rule. If I can't install it, she doesn't want it. We are rather rural. We have had problems with (not DISH) installers on our property before. I accept the compromise.

Reactions: Tampa8
That's it. Make sure you run the cable out of port 1 only on the LNB to ODU (Blue port) on the Hub. Host on the hub (Purple port) goes directly to the Hopper and the clients on the hub are for Joeys
If/when I end up installing these, will they work with the first gen hopper/sling and Joey 1.0 or do I need to change the outside equipment and the inside equipment at the same time? Thanks again for everyone's wellness to provide knowledgable advice.

If/when I end up installing these, will they work with the first gen hopper/sling and Joey 1.0 or do I need to change the outside equipment and the inside equipment at the same time? Thanks again for everyone's wellness to provide knowledgable advice.

Yes they'll work with any Hopper. Just be sure to do a switch test after you change the hardware.

That's it. Make sure you run the cable out of port 1 only on the LNB to ODU (Blue port) on the Hub. Host on the hub (Purple port) goes directly to the Hopper and the clients on the hub are for Joeys
Damn, I hate Blue/Purple color coding. Color-blind here, my theory is that Purple/Violet don't really exist and are just a scam all you color-normals pull on us. #TinfoilHat

And don't get me started on those devices that use a single LED for Red/Amber/Green, I'm looking at you network routers and switches.

You sure were right about the switch test. Had to run it 3-4 times before I got all of the channels. It had me doubting that I'd hooked up the hub right. In the end it was all good. Wife's shows were uninterrupted that evening.

About that customer retention number...it has been disconnected. Regular CSR on chat was trying but unempowered to get me anything without an 3rd party installation and significant charges.

Is there a new name/number for Retention? My chat CSR didn't offer it up when I politely asked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts