Need some multiswitch help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Normally this would be in the free to air area but since StarChoice uses the same technology with switches as DirecTV I'm posting it here (SC uses 22K switching and works with all DirecTv switches)

I have a StarChoice 75e dish with the quad LNB. The LNB sees 2 satellites (107.3 & 111.1) and has a built in 4x4 switch (I am assuming this). There are 4 outputs and they all can pick up both satellites.

I recently reaimed it to a KU band satellite and hooked up 2 lines. Now here is where I need your expertice. Right now I only see one satellite (which is fine by me as where I have it aimed there isnt another KU satellite within the 4 degrees). Can I hook a 3x4 multiswitch to 2 of the outputs and will it work? Reason I can't run 4 lines is I already ran 2 lines to a multiswitch (for a different dish which I want to use for another project and the SC dish is taking its place) and I don't feel like trying to run another 2 lines about 50 feet or so. Oh, and I can't remove the LNB and put a dual lNB on because of the way the LNB/Arm is made.

I am thinking since I am only looking at one satellite it can be done. I just need 2 lines (one for H and one for V) but just wondered. I guess this would be like someone taking a Phase III and hooking up 2 lines to a multiswitch for 101 only.

Well with D* multisat dishes (3lnb and 5lnb) you have to hook ALL 4 lines from the dish to the second (cascadable) multiswitch, if you only use 1, 2 or 3, it will not work right. i.e. you need at least a 4x.

If it applies to you, I don't know.

damn. Thats what I was worried about. BUt if you only hook up 2 lines, don't you just get the main satellite only?

Iceberg said:
damn. Thats what I was worried about. BUt if you only hook up 2 lines, don't you just get the main satellite only?

Yes, I believe so, but you may have other issues, that I do not know about. Or maybe if the other 2 lines receivers do something with the LNBs, it may cause the other 2 to not switch right, if at all, i.e. fight over control.

Last edited:
dragon002 said:
on a phase 3 you might get the 101 , but it would lock in either the 13 or 18 if all 4 werent hooked up.

shoot

I thought the ports were 13v, 18v, 13+22k, 18+22k if an external multiswitch was used

all ports pass all the frequencies, with directv the lnb is driven by the irds in a 2 box system, and by the multiswitch in a 3+ box system.

now with the 72.5 and the 95 you need a flex port switch.

im gonna get flamed by the tech who say to use a high freq. splitter, it will work for a while , and only a while.

dragon002 said:
im gonna get flamed by the tech who say to use a high freq. splitter, it will work for a while , and only a while.

lol, funny you mention that, I thought about mentioning it in this thread, but have not seen anyone confirm 100% that it works without issue.

Glad I didn't now. ;)

yeah where the heck did a 6x8 switch come into play?

I was seeing if I could hook 2 lines from the StarChoice 75e dish to a DirecTv 3x4 multiswitch and get 4 outputs for one satellite. I know I can do it with a single KU band dish with a dual LNB but I figured I could do it and just get one satellite

On a phase 3 if you want 101 you can run just two lines into a 3x4 and have 4 outputs with juat the 101 satellite. The only time a problem would occur is if you needed the 22khz to switch the inputs then you would need the 4 input lines and a 4x8 multi switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts