Need some speaker advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

aaronwt6

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
SE Georgia
I'm looking at reaplacing some speakers at my parents house for Christmas. They currently have 3 pairs in 3 seperate rooms hooked to a 4 channel hole house distribution unit (the 4th set is outside on the poarch but will remain for now). The ones they have now are around 20-25 years old and have seen better days. They are JBLs with I believe an 8" woofer. Very large compared to what's avaialble now.

Anyway, I'm looking at getting bookshelf style speakers in the $200-$250 a pair range. Can I get anything decent for that kinda price or am I dreaming?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

I'm looking at reaplacing some speakers at my parents house for Christmas. They currently have 3 pairs in 3 seperate rooms hooked to a 4 channel hole house distribution unit (the 4th set is outside on the poarch but will remain for now). The ones they have now are around 20-25 years old and have seen better days. They are JBLs with I believe an 8" woofer. Very large compared to what's avaialble now.

Anyway, I'm looking at getting bookshelf style speakers in the $200-$250 a pair range. Can I get anything decent for that kinda price or am I dreaming?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron
Decent is a matter of opinion ;) The Polk RTi4's are well within your price range and will probably be fine for your parents.

S~

You can also go with Polk Monitor 30 or 45B. 45B have TWO 5.25" drivers in each cabinet that should push about the same amount of air as the old 8" driver. Another excellent option at $280 per pair ( at Newegg ) are the Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 450. These were replaced by the SM55 and the SM450 are being closed out and are a STEAL at that price. These were $600 a pair last year. They are WAY more speaker than you probably need, so I would just get a single pair for a main listening room. The recommended amp power on these is 20 to 225 watts each. They will take every bit of that too.

That is an amazing price for the 450s. I have the 350s in my bedroom and they are quite reasonable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)