Need some tailgate help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sharpie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I want to take the HD receiver from my house for tailgating. I have the HDTV but where can I buy a dish? All I want to do is run one line from the dish to the receiver to see the football games in hd. If someone could direct me to a website and tell me the bare necessities needed, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

You would need the Slimline 5 lnb dish, a KA/KU compatible tripod and cable. All of which can be bought locally at a D* retailer or from this sites sponsors. Probably looking at around $200 ($100 for the dish and $100 for the tripod/Cable) you will probably want to dig around and get explicit instruction on how to align the 5lnb KAKU dish to as its not as easy as the single SD dish is.

Do I really *need* a 5 way dish?? Isnt it possible to align a single LNB dish/ plate/Vuqube or 3 way dish to receive the 99(c)
signal for NFL ST/SF now that D* moved ST off of 101? I have all the gear (BBC, service, recent receiver) save for the dish but the 5 way dish, which I have, is too darn big to haul around to games and too time consuming to set up. Thinking I could twiddle any of the former using the receivers meter / test channels to verify. Also have a Birddog which could help me at least align 101. Dont care about any other channels except NFL SF/ST.

OK Part 2. Looks like i could actually replace the 3 lnb on the Phase 3 arm with the 5 lnb / switch.

$64k Question: Has anyone used a phase 3 dish to receive just 99c & 101 with a 5 lnb/switch replacing the 3 lnb/switch on the arm? All I want to do is tune in 99c for D* Sunday Ticket Superfan channels-dont really care about the other satellites. Please advise if I *must *have 119 or not to be able to change channels and why the phase 3 can *not* be tilted/aimed to receive what I need.

I have the BBC, H20, just need to know if someones done this already to save time.

OK Part 2. Looks like i could actually replace the 3 lnb on the Phase 3 arm with the 5 lnb / switch.

$64k Question: Has anyone used a phase 3 dish to receive just 99c & 101 with a 5 lnb/switch replacing the 3 lnb/switch on the arm? All I want to do is tune in 99c for D* Sunday Ticket Superfan channels-dont really care about the other satellites. Please advise if I *must *have 119 or not to be able to change channels and why the phase 3 can *not* be tilted/aimed to receive what I need.

I have the BBC, H20, just need to know if someones done this already to save time.
WILL NOT WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Slimline or 18" accept the facts.

I have heard of putting the 5LNB on a 3 Sat arm but you do have to notch it, whether or not it works for the 99 I have no clue if it will focus correctly.

The Slimline isnt that big if you remove the 4 bolts holding the arm on.

OK I tried to set the Slimline up at the game Sunday in broiling heat (NJ Meadowlands) and abject failure. Even my Plan B didnt work -Silver Sensor attached to / D* H20 - because i didnt preload the Off Air channel guide at home (which I didnt know I HAD to do-D'OH-frustrating to have 90% reception on 50 OTA channels and no way to see 'em). Those digital reciever certificates will be handy!

And this is from some one that used to set up a 3 LNB/other dishes in 10 mins....*snif*

Anyway I need a few misc. questions answered, Id be grateful for some input

1) Will my old Birddog V 2.5 meter still be OK to use for 101 and 119 or do I really have to download the new settings for the Ka birds. Or is it just a relabelling of the same old setting? Having a terrible time
since new laptops dont have serial ports and even with a USB/Serial
adapter Im getting No Ack to my meter. Yes I wrote to them but no answer yet.
BTW I did get readings over 200 for 119 but never "Found" Grr!

2) How does the elevation screw need to be interpreted for AT9-the front edge of
the nut? the top edge? or the center of the bolt? In other words if I need to be at Elevation 36, whats the optimal positioning. Never was clear about this.

3) Is it possible the LNBs are bad? WTC AT9 Rev. 1 purchased last year. Of course not under warranty/returnable.

You can't down load ka birds on your b'dog but you'll need to download the 101 and 119 ka on it. The front edge if the nut on the elevation is the reference. Make sure that the odu is not damaged since you transport it a lot. Good luck.

Seeing you have a slim line to play with, why not set it up several times at home ahead of time and get the feel for it before you get out there.
Once you get it set up at home, your elevation and tilt should not change, unless your game is in an entire different part of the country, even then you can use the home as a starting point.
If your football game is not far from home you should be able to set it up on a tripod and leave everything alone except the left and right.

IF you already have the dish set up at home it should take about 5-10 minutes to set it up at the game.
MOST IMPORTANT thing is to make SURE the mast is LEVEL and PLUMB FIRST.

Jimbo

All, thank you for the clarifications re the meter configuration and the elevation nut. Just knew this was the right place to come crying for help to! I live 30 miles from GS, the settings are not exactly the same as home but close...

Last question - not having any luck w/ the downloading of the Ka/Ku settings to the old Birddog yet-possible I also need a new RJ11-9 Pin Serial cable as well and will try that also - so was wondering if its worth investing in the new Birdog /Super Buddy or as a cheaper option the Accutrac III. I know its another $500 for the Birddog but maybe its worth it just to be able to check the LNB health? Does the SuperBuddy do that?

Status
Please reply by conversation.