Need tips on blocking skylight in theater room

sunflower100

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
san diego, california
So I have a theater room that conveniently contains 6 windows. I have 2 blocked but the remaining 4 are skylights and the ceiling is your typical upside down 'V' at that really steep angle. It's also a stupidly high ceiling which adds even more to the fun. I'm dreading the day a light goes out in the ceiling fan.

The issue with using drapes is that I'd need to form a complete seal since otherwise there will be some sagging and light will start to get through. The other option is to fill in that inset, which I have a couple feet to play with.

Right now I have a combination of things going. For two windows on one side, I've cut some cardboard and wedged them in there. Other than not getting an exact fix, which lets some light in, it works ok but it's ugly. They also tend to fall out once in a while.

The other side has cardboard covering, not wedged in, with some drapes covering them. This is magically holding up by using hooks you put in the ceiling to hand things from. Not heavy things but the small plain brass looking hooks. This has some sagging issues and has most of the light coming out of it plus it's ugly. It's all ugly and I'm surprised it's managed to stay up like that. I originally did this on the other side but the cardboard and curtain was too heavy so the hooks would slide out.

Right now I have some blackout curtains but need an idea on making them seal tight. I was also toying with the idea of wedging something light, inside the window frame, like poster board and then putting movie posters over. Nothing framed, just some cheap movie posters I got from the dollar store.

I'm open to any ideas, I have no idea which way to go or what would work good. I just want something more permanent that looks decent.

On the curtains, try sewing in strips of magnetic rubber on the edges and place steel strips on the window frame. they will snap in place and give a tight seal.

I don't have a cheap answer for the skylights. They do make blinds for skylights that work with tracks, but they are not cheap: Blackout blinds | VELUX

Search "Blinds between the glass panels". Major window mfgs do this all the time. What will be tricky but geeks can do it.........a remote control to activate the blind. Or you can rig strings. With proper acces to the inside of the roof this could work with a "wall fish" or two to run the control strings inside the walls.

Report how it goes.

Joe

Agree on the blinds between the panels. There are actually several that are manual and you just use a long "stick" with a hook on it to raise and lower the blinds. I'm sure this is cheaper than the remote controlled ones (although I'm sure it is much more expensive than the cardboard you have going right now...) :)

Between the panels gives a clean look, but you have to replace the glass. The ones I mentioned above leave the existing skylight intact and attach inside with either fabric or metal blinds.

Consider blackout curtains velcroed to the outside of the skylight frames. And a t-a-l-l ladder.

Ha how about using window tint. They make many different tint shades. There are companies out there that can do it for you or maybe give it a shot yourself. Maybe there is a YouTube video to show how to window tint. Tint can be purchased at most auto parts stores. As for the height I would rent an electric lift, they have pretty small ones that will go up maybe 15 to 20 feet. They are made to go through a door frame. Using tint would give you a pretty nice look and for sure no sag. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts