Need to connect 2 receivers to 1 satellite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lordmoosh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
PA
Hello all,

Please forgive me if I sound newbish. This is my first time dealing with a satellite issue. My family had a satellite dish installed a long time ago with a Samsung receiver. This is used to watch foreign TV channels. Everything is working. The problem is we need to get another receiver setup. I was able to get the second receiver hooked up by running a coaxial cable from the first receiver's LOOP port to the second receiver. This works fine but I am doing some renovation and I do not want to have a coaxial cable running from the one satellite to the other. I want to run two cables from the satellite, one cable to each receiver or run one cable to a splitter and then send from the splitter to each receiver. Using a splitter on my current satellite dish does not work as I get no signal from the splitter. I read that you cannot split a single from a single LMB satellite. My satellite only has one LMB (I think its called an LMB). I've read about dual LMB satellites. Is it possible for me to swap out the single LMB to a dual LMB on my satellite dish or do I need a new satellite all together? I do not mind replacing the satellite because I know where to aim it and everything. Thank you for your help.

Sure is, I would get a dual Linear LNBF, they are available from your FRIENDLY local FTA dealer.

All the BEST!

Indeed, one output to each receiver will do the trick!

Make sure to ground both cable runs to be on the McSafe side!

I am going to purchase the LNB I showed earlier. Are all LNBs standard and fit any satellite dish? Thanks guys.

I am going to purchase the LNB I showed earlier. Are all LNBs standard and fit any satellite dish? Thanks guys.

They are not all the same, but there are not many different typical sizes.

You should be able to measure your holder and compare it to the specs of whatever you are looking at and tell if it will fit.

The one in your picture is of a Ku band LNB, with dual outputs.
One of our Gold Sponsors sells the same, and I ordered two just last week.
Most dishes do not mount the LNB the way these -can- be mounted (by the base).
Most are held in place with a bracket that grabs the LNB by the neck.

If you'd show us a picture of your existing LNB on your dish, we might offer better advice.
But choosing a Standard LNB versus a Universal LNB (as you have), is probably the best way to go.
What size is your dish, and which satellite are you watching?

Hello. The satellite we watch is IntelliAmerica5k. I will try to take a picture of the satellite dish soon.

Hello. Here are two pictures of the LNB from different angles.

I found a dual LNB on Amazon that looks like it might fit:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/RCA-2-DLNB2BOX-LNB-Dual/dp/B00009W3DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267493706&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: RCA DLNB2BOX LNB (Dual): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/219B3moDR1L.@@AMEPARAM@@219B3moDR1L[/ame]

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 2vq6i.jpg
    2vq6i.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 205
  • oWmXN.jpg
    oWmXN.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited by a moderator:
The article from amazon it's a dual circular Ku, you need a dual output linear ku or universal ku (it's also linear but with extended freq.), you need something like this:
Code:
http://www.glorystar.tv/p/shop/?ws_pid=429&ws_cat=433

Also check with sadoun, maybe he has other models.

By the way with a dual output LNB you can connect more than 2 receivers using a "special switch" (a 2x4 or a 4x4 where you plug both cables coming from the LNB to the switch and it gives you 4 outputs).

Cheers

M.

Thanks I will order that one. I plan on ordering a grounding block as well as I notice my TV antenna and satellite dish are both NOT grounded. I need to have a grounding block that can ground 3 coax connections, 2 for the satellite and 1 for the TV antenna. Is it okay to ground the TV antenna and the satellite dish with the same grounding block?

ie - using a block like this both for 3 connections [ame="http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-2-way-Coax-Grounding-Block/dp/B000V1O1JY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267909424&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: RiteAV - 2-way Coax Grounding Block: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qudjMBQCL.@@AMEPARAM@@41qudjMBQCL[/ame]

That grounding block it's good :).

As for the Universal LNBs i've found in the majority of my tests that Universal LNBs tend to have a lower gain than a linear Ku, in all likelyhood you won't notice it if your dish is big enough to gather all the signal needed to 'open' those channels without freezings nor pixelation, which for 97ºW i don't think will happen since 97ºW it's a fairly strong satellite (if i recall correctly you're watching the globecast and other free channels from that sat).

Also keep in mind that most likely you won't need that 'extended' frequency in the US, or, actually in any part of Northamerica, but still it's a good choice for a LNB.

When seting up that LNB in your receiver, you need to set it as either one of these (depending on your receiver):

Universal
9750/10600

All of those are the same, and need the 22 kHz tone to be switched to ON in your receivers' menus.

If you happen to have more questions don't doubt to ask :)

Cheers

Mike

I will get the standard LNB since sometimes our reception isnt the greatest:

KUL2 Dual Output 0.4db Noise figure Sadoun Standard Linear Offset LNBF LNB

Thanks! The settings that you mentioned, will they work for the standard dual LNB?

Oh i didn't know you had problems from time to time with the reception, in any case, in my experience with linear and universal LNBs it's a good choice to go with a standard lineal :).

The settings for this LNB will be either:
Standard
Lineal <--- I can't remember on which receiver did i see it listed as that
9750/10750

And the 22kHz must be off :)

Cheers

Mike

Thank you. As for the ground, what is the standard way to ground the ground block? Is there any article that you know of that shows how to do it?

Found this article:
Grounding your satellite dish and system

I pretty much get it all except what to ground the block to. My breaker panel is grounded. Should I run 8 gauge wire into the house and to the breaker panel and attach to the ground?

I used #8 wire to ground my installations to the central grounding for my house, i don't know about runing the cable into the house since it's not supposed to come in contact with anything (anything but the wall in any case).

Cheers

Mike

The ground that goes to my electrical service panel seems to come from a line that goes up my house and towards the power line. There are two lines that come from the power line, one that actually supplies the power and then a wire that looks like a super thick grounding wire. How best could I connect the #8 wire from the satellite/tv antenna grounding block to that? Thank you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)