Need to move dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Smarterthanthat

Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Newport News, VA
My condo association (23602) decided that everyone has to move their dishes off the building structure. Mine is on top of my shed and must be removed. I see dishes in the neighboring apartment complex on poles. Is a pole an option and how much is a reasonable charge for this type of service call and would it be any cheaper with me wanting to add some additions to my present package?

You really need to check with your HOA for their rules! Many HOA are responsible for the exterior of the buildings and any common areas. From the order to move the dishes it sounds like the HOA is exercising their rights to the exterior so they will need to determine where you are allowed to move the dishes to.

dish move

You can pick up a pole at Lowe's or Home Depot for about $7.00 plus a couple of bags of concrete. I think D* charges $70-75 to relocate a dish.

Thanks, the HOA said the poles were fine but at what cost?
Expect to pay around $150. Doing the pole yourself may get you a discount. The hard part may well be the undergrounding the four coaxial cables and the ground wire(s).

In this case, I think the HOA should contract with someone to do this across the board.

Do you have a balcony? If yes why not install it there? use a large Brick or a Tripod!

Is this decision by the HOA against any OTARD rules?

See FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

In the case of a Condo the rule only applies to areas the owner has exclusive rights to ie: a balcony. If the area the dish is going is owned by the poster than the HOA can not deny placement of the dish in a area that gets reception. They can require though the Dish be placed in another area of the property if reception quality is not compromised, which appears to be the case here or would require an unreasonable expense to do so. That is such a subjective condition though you may have trouble proving it. What's reasonable to one party may be unreasonable to another. If the area is a common area though, the HOA can deny use of a Dish all together. So if this is the case, and the HOA is providing an alternative sight, I wouldn't fight it, or you could end up with nothing at all.

Last edited:
Also if its a 5 LNB dish its too heavy and will sway on the pole, you'll has sfss issue in most cases.

Also if its a 5 LNB dish its too heavy and will sway on the pole, you'll has sfss issue in most cases.
Nah, 5LNB will mount fine on a pole, thats how mine is. Just dont want it too high, and make sure it has plenty of concrete to hold it in place
My E* superdish is mounted right beside my slimline in the same way. went through hurricanes Ivan and Katrina without even having to adjust it after. very sturdy

Nah, 5LNB will mount fine on a pole, thats how mine is. Just dont want it too high, and make sure it has plenty of concrete to hold it in place
My E* superdish is mounted right beside my slimline in the same way. went through hurricanes Ivan and Katrina without even having to adjust it after. very sturdy

Just know I warned you, I know for a fact it causes issues more often than not with HD. Thick pole from hell? sure you'll be ok but the standard pole dvt puts up, refer to my first post lol.

Just know I warned you, I know for a fact it causes issues more often than not with HD. Thick pole from hell? sure you'll be ok but the standard pole dvt puts up, refer to my first post lol.
I am using the standard pole that both companies send out. My cousin is doing the same thing. As are my parents. Sure there could be problems with some installs, but id think there could be no matter how you mount it. Has more to do with a crappy install than the capabilities of the pole to support the weight.

I mounted a slimline in a giant flower pot, using 3 bags of concrete and the mast the dish comes with. It stands about 3ft off the ground and weighs about 200lbs. It has not even budged in high winds.

I mounted a slimline in a giant flower pot, using 3 bags of concrete and the mast the dish comes with. It stands about 3ft off the ground and weighs about 200lbs. It has not even budged in high winds.
I imagine not!

When i was in college and moved around alot, i had an old single LNB dish. Had it fixed where i could bolt it to two pieces of 3 inch thick by five inch wide flat bar. weighed about 80 pounds each. it only sat about 3 inches off of the ground, and worked Great! I still use that setup for tailgating sometimes

In the early D years I built a A frame out of scrap plywood and 2x4. I could take it anywhere and level it and point the dish. It sat over a roof top quite nicely or on the ground. It just depended on where I needed it at the moment. I still use it from time to time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.