Need Which Receiver?(fta) Hook Up Info..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gusjdj

Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Hi,
I have a 12' dia dish(starfire) with this Chaparral feed horn...not sure of what the components are or called and would like to get a fta receiver using what I have here..can you provide any info or who I can contact to get this goin?..I live in Las Vegas...the dish and feed horn have been outside a loooong time since 95?.not sure...was here when I moved here...is it still good?...should I get a new one?..
can these be tested?...what model(s) am I looking at?...
thank you for any info...
Jay

ShowLetter

Do you have an Analog receiver to drive Actuator with? That is if it has an Actuator and is not a fixed dish (stationary)? Assuming it has an Actuator, you can check to see if it will move with a 12v battery (car), if it moves then swap the wires to make sure it goes the other way. If the Actuator works, then you need an old Analog receiver to drive it and control the polarity. Or, you can get one of the many V-Box models (dish mover) and a DVB receiver and use the DVB receivers 1.2 Commands to drive the Actuator. A DVB receiver will not drive and Actuator or controll the Polarity own it's on with the Chaparrel feedhorn with Polarotor. You would need an Analog receiver to do both with that feedhorn. There is one DVB receiver, I know of, that will drive an Actuator and control the polarity, and it's one (only one) of the Manhattan models. Several Manhattan models will control the polarity on that Chaparrel feedhorn. But, they are rare to find? If you go the V-Box route, you will need to get a new LNBF that is voltage controlled, and most (if not all) LNBF's are, where LNB's are not. You would also want the LNBF to do C-Band and Ku-Band, like one of the BSC621 models. There are a couple of different models of them? Good Luck!

Al

And welcome to the forum gusjdj! There are a few different ways you can do this. Actually to many to write about, it would take a book. So, I suggest for you to do a lot of reading here and then ask questions about something more specific. It would help if we new more about your equipment, do you have an Actuator, do you have an Analog receiver, what does the Chaparel feedhorn or rather LNB have written on it? And, the kind of receiver for me to maybe recommend would depend on what you plan to watch, such as HD, or some receivers can't get certain types of Video Color coding such as 4:2:2 (which I'm sure is probably over your head if you are new to this)?

Al

While VoomVoom's post above is very comprehensive, if you don't know what he is talking about, you might want to read this web site, Geo-Orbit.

It will help you learn what all the pieces are, how they fit together, how they work, etc.
If you want to take some pictures and post them, we might help more.
However, don't take apart any of the hardware on the mount - it's probably aimed correctly as is.

Since the dish is so old and hasn't moved for a while, I would recommend that you spray the moving joints on the dish with WD40 (and let it set for a few minutes) before trying the actuator as voomvoom correctly suggested.

Assuming your dish and actuator work: I recommend you get the following components:

• Fortec Mercury II DVB receiver
  • GBox positioner for your actuator
  • BSC621 C/KU band LNBF
  • Heavy Duty 36V x 24" Actuator (if yours is bad)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts