Need your help again guys.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

blackblazers

Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
I got help with my quad lnbf on how to wire it with a zinwell 4x4 switch for four receivers. I got all that done & i ran all the wires to my cable box. I thought all i had to do was unhook the outside cable & put the lnbf wires into the splitter that my cable people had & i would be able to get reception in all my rooms. It wasn't that easy so do i need a certain type of splitter? I really don't know what to do so any advice would help

Please explain clearly as I still don't know you hook it up all the cable box or satellite receivers, satellite receiver can not be use of those cable splitter.

I've got a quad lnb with my four cables coming from my zinwell 4x4 switch so that i can hook them up to three different rooms. I know that my living room will be the main room & that the other room reciecers will be slave recievers. It's just that when i try to use the splitter that was already in my cable box i don't get anything in none of my rooms. I don't have any cable at all so the outside cable isn't hooked in to the splitter at all.

I'm still not 100% following you. But it sounds to me like you are trying to split the cable that comes from your sat dish by connecting it to a splitter that used to be used to split cable television to various outlets in your house (i.e. the splitter that you'll find in that grey box on the side of your house).

If that is the case, you'll have at least a couple problems.

1) That splitter probably isn't rated/designed to pass the frequencies required for your satellite receiver - they normally are labled with a frequency range on the splitter. Satellite frequencies are different than cable.

2) You can't split a single satellite dish's cable using an ordinary splitter. Your receivers will go nuts with that scenario even if it did handle the frequency range. When you run "slave" receivers, you actually connect the line from your dish directly to the main reciever, and then run a cable back out the "loop" connector on the back. You then connect that to your slave receiver.

I know "very little" about this FTA stuff so far, so there are probably other issues that I'm not aware of (or maybe I'm completely off base, but these are two issues that I'm figuring are going to cause you troubles right off the bat)

If these are FTA recs. I would put a 4 way switch with power passing on one leg,
run that to Your master rec. with lnb power on, hook the others to the other
outlets , cut the lnb power off to them, if this is fta setup only.
If it is dish or direct setup disregard.
Try and let us know what recs. you have and dish and lnb brands
woud help out alot.

Thanks Anole may that link to my past thread will help clear up any ?'s anyone has plus it'll let everyone know exactly where i'm at in my setup. And yes it is a FTA setup.

It would be easier to run all new lines from the multiswitch to the recievers. Every time you split the line (or even add a barrel connector to attach two short cables together) you lose a little signal.

Iceberg you might wanna check your private messages I sent you one. Also I think i opened a can of worms Lumpkin666 said that I need to run a wire from the main reciever through the loop connector on the back. I don't know anything about that can someone explain that to me.

As Iceberg said, if you're using a 4 x 4 multiswitch, there's no need for a splitter. If you need more than four outputs, you can use a 4 x 8 multiswitch, but be warned that they usually require external power supplies. Just run a wire from each output of the multiswitch to each receiver. That's what makes the multiswitches advantageous with the Invacom Quad LNBF.

For more info on those switches, you might take a look in this other current thread.
3x4's are just 2x4's with off-the-air antenna piped in, and 5x8's are just 4x8's enhanced the same way.
Don't buy the 3X's nor 5X's unless you specifically need them... or they are cheaper.. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)