negotiating a better deal... tips? Advice?

Tex Arcana

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
McKinney, TX
I've been with Dish a very long time (2001 I do believe), in three different houses. I've been happy with them for the most part, REALLY enjoyed the DVRs we had (how did I live without them??), and for the most part, their service has been good to excellent.

IN this particular home, I went with DishHD, got Dish America Gold, and except for a freaky ViP722 reset that wiped out all my recorded shows, it's been pretty darned good...

Except that I don't get The SPEED Channel, and BBC America. :mad: I'd also like to get more than one HD movie channel (Encore, tho nice, isn't much). Plus, I'm paying $65 a month for a lineup that's exceeded by the America's Top 200 package, for only $40 a month, and it includes the channels I want. Plus, DAG doesn't have any of the music channels at all. :wtf:

Simply put, I'm not getting the value I'd like to get, and I want to change.

Question is, how?? I've tried the online chat (fail), I haven't called yet, but I suspect I'll get another outsourced job rep, who won't understand Engrish too well, and won't deviate from the script. And I'd rather go in armed with ALL the ammo I can bring to bear, rather than trust to blind luck to find the right person(s) to get me thru the process.

So, thanks in advance for any advice... :up

I've been with Dish a very long time (2001 I do believe), in three different houses. I've been happy with them for the most part, REALLY enjoyed the DVRs we had (how did I live without them??), and for the most part, their service has been good to excellent.

IN this particular home, I went with DishHD, got Dish America Gold, and except for a freaky ViP722 reset that wiped out all my recorded shows, it's been pretty darned good...

Except that I don't get The SPEED Channel, and BBC America. :mad: I'd also like to get more than one HD movie channel (Encore, tho nice, isn't much). Plus, I'm paying $65 a month for a lineup that's exceeded by the America's Top 200 package, for only $40 a month, and it includes the channels I want. Plus, DAG doesn't have any of the music channels at all. :wtf:

Simply put, I'm not getting the value I'd like to get, and I want to change.

Question is, how?? I've tried the online chat (fail), I haven't called yet, but I suspect I'll get another outsourced job rep, who won't understand Engrish too well, and won't deviate from the script. And I'd rather go in armed with ALL the ammo I can bring to bear, rather than trust to blind luck to find the right person(s) to get me thru the process.

So, thanks in advance for any advice... :up

Okay. Let's try to get what you want.

You want SPEED and BBC America. America's Top 200 (at least) is the package for that. It is $54.99 a month. (With this package, you will lose Encore HD. If you still want Encore HD, you could get it in America's Top 250 for $64.99. You would also get the other Encore channels with America's Top 250 such as Encore West, Encore Westerns, Encore Action, Encore Mystery, Encore Drama, Encore Love, and Encore WAM (all in SD). If you would just want Encores not in HD, you could add Encore Movie Pack a la carte to America's Top 200 for $5.00/month, but you would not get Encore East in SD or HD and Encore WAM. If you want to do without Encore, you could do just that as well because there are some other channels you may like in the HD Platinum add-on.]

Okay. So, you would lose Encore East HD with America's Top 200, and you may not want the Encore Movie Pack add-on for $5.00/month with America's Top 200 since they are all in SD. Therefore, HD Platinum (HD Platinum - Dish Network) would get you some HD movie channels!

The movie channels from HD Platinum include:
*Epix HD
*Epix 2 HD
*Indieplex HD (You may see some movies on here that would play on an Encore-themed channel.)
*Retroplex HD (You may see some movies on here that would play on an Encore-themed channel, too.)
*Shorts HD (Personally, I am not into this channel that much)
*HDNet Movies (Personally, I like this one as they have movies before their release on special nights)
*MGM HD (Unlike the rest, this one has a very limited commercial break between movies. Not very long at all...)

The HD Platinum add-on also includes some other channels that do not play movies all day like:
* Centric
* Fashion TV HD
* Logo
* Palladia HD (has some pretty good concerts.)
* MavTV
* HD Theater (My family loves the car show on this one.)
* Universal HD
* Crime & Investigation Network HD
* World Fishing Network HD

I would suggest getting into HD For Life to get rid of the $10.00 HD fee. You would still pay $10.00 for HD Platinum, but is better than $20.00 a month if you want both.

How Can I Get HD For Life?

Option 1: 24-Month Commitment with AutoPay and Paperless Billing

* You provide a 24 month commitment (with a prorated $240 cancellation fee if you disconnect your DISH account prior to the end of your commitment)
* You have and keep your DISH account on AutoPay. When you first sign up for AutoPay, we require payment for any balance on your account in order to make your AutoPay status effective immediately.
* You have and keep your DISH account on Paperless Billing. With Paperless Billing, you can always see your exact same statement on dish.com/mybill and you will receive an email reminder each month when your new statement is ready to be viewed.

Option 2: One-Time Non-Refundable $99 Payment

* You pay a one-time non-refundable $99 HD programming upgrade fee.

Of course, there are always those other premium channels that have some HD channels like: HBO ($16/month), Cinemax ($13/month), Starz ($13/month), and Showtime ($13/month). Then, there are some discounts when ordering more than one. However, I am pleased with HD Platinum instead. $24.00 for two packages, $33.00 for three packages, $42.00 for four packages, and $52.00 for five packages [this is with Playboy which is regular $16/month].)

So, I think I found some options that you would like:

Option 1:
America's Top 200 $54.99
HD 200 Free $ 0.00 (if you get in HD 4 Life; otherwise, add $10)
HD Platinum $10.00
722 DVR $ 0.00 (first one included in base package...not sure if you have more equipment...Otherwise, add those fees in as well...)
DVR Fee $6.00 (unless you have a 922.....then, $10)
Subtotal: $70.99

Option 2:
America's Top 200 $54.99
HD 200 Free $ 0.00 (if you get in HD 4 Life; otherwise, add $10)
HD Platinum $10.00
722 DVR $ 0.00 (first one included in base package...not sure if you have more equipment...Otherwise, add those fees in as well...)
Encore Movie Pack $5.00
Subtotal: $75.99

Option 3: (all the Encores are included in America's Top 250)
America's Top 250 $64.99
HD 250 Free $ 0.00 (if you get in HD 4 Life; otherwise, add $10)
HD Platinum $10.00
Subtotal: $80.99

Option 4: (The "Everything" Pak does not include everything. However, it does include America's Top 250 with HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax.)
America's "Everything" Pak $99.99
HD 250 Free $ 0.00 (if you get in HD 4 Life; otherwise, add $10)
HD Platinum $10.00
Subtotal: $115.99

I did not do every single premium channel option. There are many ways to go about that. However, in the long run, if you want many premiums, you will probably do better with the "Everything" Pak. I hope that this helps you. :D
In addition, try looking at this:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/Channel-Lineup/StandardHDChannelGuide.pdf
It allows you to see what is in each package.

Let us know what you decide to do even if it is not a listed option here. You may also want to try this: http://www.dishnetwork.com/quote_builder/calculator/calculator.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the work, Mojo... forgive me if you sound suspiciously like someone who works for DIsh. <_< >_>

I'm not that worried about the major premiums, we've been okay with the single encore channel this past year and a half; on the other hand, we've enjoyed some of the offerings on the new channels that are previewing right now. I also already have Palladia, HDNet, HDTheater, etc, and enjoy them very much.

I"m paying $65 a month now, and NOT getting Speed or BBC, and that's what's stuck in my craw, because when I signed up they were SUPPOSED to be there, but they aren't, and Dish keeps denying that I was supposed to get them. I'd like to NOT increase my bill if I can possibly help it.

Considering that I'm already an America Gold subscriber, shouldn't I be able to add the channels I want without a huge hit on the monthly?

Anyway, thanks for the info, I'm looking into it.

Oh, and I forgot: I already have a VIP722 (I think)... how does that affect pricing?

It depends on how many receivers you have.

You would definitely have a $6 DVR fee with a 722 that would cover all DVRs (unless you have a 922--Then, it is a $10 DVR fee).

For example, if you have just one 722, then it is included in the base price.
However, if you have an extra 722, then it would be $17.

Thanks for the work, Mojo... forgive me if you sound suspiciously like someone who works for DIsh. <_< >_>

I'm not that worried about the major premiums, we've been okay with the single encore channel this past year and a half; on the other hand, we've enjoyed some of the offerings on the new channels that are previewing right now. I also already have Palladia, HDNet, HDTheater, etc, and enjoy them very much.

I"m paying $65 a month now, and NOT getting Speed or BBC, and that's what's stuck in my craw, because when I signed up they were SUPPOSED to be there, but they aren't, and Dish keeps denying that I was supposed to get them. I'd like to NOT increase my bill if I can possibly help it.

Considering that I'm already an America Gold subscriber, shouldn't I be able to add the channels I want without a huge hit on the monthly?

I do not work for Dish. I think it would be fun to help customers get packages that they actually want. I usually find that people who have E* that I know do not know the offerings of E*. Therefore, they become unhappy with a package that they seem to get placed in without knowing all their options.

Unfortunately, not all channels are a la carte. Speed and BBC America are two channels that are not currently a la carte. Speed and BBC America are currently in America's Top 200. I do not believe that Speed and BBC America are in any of the HD only packages (Please see the attachment). The following page shows a la carte offerings (with the exclusion of the Encore $5.00 Movie Pack):
Baby First TV, Outdoor Channel & A La Carte TV - DISH Network
However, you may see that a la carte is not always inexpensive.

Attachments

• Focus On DISH Network HD.pdf
    119.5 KB · Views: 164

How is the first 722 free?

Well, the only other option to get BBC America and Speed would possibly be subbing to DishLATINO Max for $52.99/month. The package also qualifies for HD FREE for life. I am not sure if you want to go that route. I would look at what channels are included in the package before switching.

To view the channels in this package, visit one of these pages or both...
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/packages/spanishProgramming/DLMax.pdf
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/Channel-Lineup/OnlineChannel_Latino.pdf

Just another option to throw out there...

If you also enjoy Palladia and HD Theater, you could still add HD Platinum to the DishLATINO Max at an additional $10.00/month.

If you have one 722, DVR fee ($6 unless 922), DishLATINO Max, and HD Platinum that would be $68.99 (with HD FREE for life). $58.99 without HD Platinum...

Last edited:

Just FYI, I've been with Dish for 14 months and have the 200pk, HD for Life, and the Platinum pk. I fine it to have all the channels my wife & I want or need. The 2 Epix channels IMO, are far better than any of the Encore channels, and with the other "movie" channels you get in both the Platinum & 200pk, it's a very well rounded package, again, IMO.

I did try the 250pk and within 2 weeks went back to the 200pk. I just didn't feel that the extra channels in that pack were worth the added cost.

We have a VIP722k and we're happy!:)

Best of luck to you!

Ghpr13:)

Just FYI, I've been with Dish for 14 months and have the 200pk, HD for Life, and the Platinum pk. I fine it to have all the channels my wife & I want or need. The 2 Epix channels IMO, are far better than any of the Encore channels, and with the other "movie" channels you get in both the Platinum & 200pk, it's a very well rounded package, again, IMO.

I did try the 250pk and within 2 weeks went back to the 200pk. I just didn't feel that the extra channels in that pack were worth the added cost.

We have a VIP722k and we're happy!:)

Best of luck to you!

Ghpr13:)

The problem with the 250 over the 200 is that even though you pick up a slew of channels, the movie channels that made it such a really good deal in the past are mostly in SD. If you are like me you don't watch much SD anymore and that makes the 250 not so sweet.

Currently I have the AEP+HD+HD Platinum, but I am really looking hard at changing that. I do like the premiums, but more for the non-movie stuff. HBO and Showtime both have great boxing and some very good original series, I would hate not having those two.

Thanks for all the advice folks... I really appreciate it from all y'all!

I"ve become a real HD snob, especially since I got the 58" Samsung plasma, so I get really pissy when an HD channel plays SD content with the 4:3 stretched to 16:10 (GRRRR... drives me batty!). So if I can get ALL HD, I'd be happy... but I know I can't.

Okay, back to the grindstone... thanks again!

Just my two cents, but the channels you miss out on in the HD-only packages make them poor choices IMO. I've had the AT200 + HD + platinum pack for awhile now, and I think its ideal. With Free HD for life, it's a superior deal to the HD-only packages (for me, at least), and the EPIX channels (plus retro and indie) alone make the platinum pack worth it.

I wish DISH offered an HD-only package that actually had all the HD channels, but until they do, there's no way I'd do anything other than AT200 or 250.

I'm with you on this. Back when Absolute came out and then the other all HD stuff later on, I thought they were good deals IF they had all the channels I wanted. They didn't, so I didn't go for them.

Now I've got the 200+HD+HD Platinum+HBO+Showtime and I've got all the channels I watch in them and all of them in HD. No other combo did that without adding a bunch of SD I won't watch or HD I don't care to watch.

Okay, I FINALLY pulled the trigger here... and it was easy as pie: hit the website, log in to the account in my wife's name, hit the programming page, select Top200 and HD, process it (since it's the end of a billing cycle it didn't make me pay). Then, hit "HD for Life", select the 24 month option, autopay, paperless billing, input the CC# twice, then process... and voila! HD for Life and Top200. :cool:

Then I called the # for the external storage, activated it, it'll show up on the next bill, and I'm good to go! w00T!

Thanks y'all... I do appreciate the hard work!

Tex

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)