Neighbors Dish.

This is kinda a stupid question but if my neighbor has a dish then can i get dishnetwork and not have to get my own dish but just use the neighbors?

I suspect your neighbor may not be agreeable and DISH certainly will not.

Sharing a dish would create issues with the number of receivers you could each have without adding more switches (?).

Also, who is going to be the responsible party when the LNBs go bad or other repair/warranty work is needed?

If your neighbors dish gets good LOS then try to have yours placed closeby or right next to if if possible.

I don't think this is a stupid question. I can't imagine why Dish would care one way or another. Having two accounts fed from one dish is not account stacking. They get another customer and don't have to spring for a 2nd dish installation. On the other hand, if you added a receiver to your neighbor's account, then that is account stacking and against the rules.

OP: indeed you would have to gain consent from your neighbor, and also it would be best to work out in advance who does what should the dish or LNB or switch fail. You might also have to add an external switch if all internal switch (if they exist) receiver output ports are occupied. If your neighbor's dish is pole-mounted or fence-mounted near your property line, then this makes a lot of sense to me at least.

It may work well at the beginning if both parties get along, what happens when they don't? Who takes responsibility for what? A dispute with some issue could bring in the dish usage where the person who has it on their property giving them an upper hand.

It may work well at the beginning if both parties get along, what happens when they don't? Who takes responsibility for what? A dispute with some issue could bring in the dish usage where the person who has it on their property giving them an upper hand.
Not to mention when programming preferences come into play.

I don't think this is a stupid question. I can't imagine why Dish would care one way or another. Having two accounts fed from one dish is not account stacking. They get another customer and don't have to spring for a 2nd dish installation. On the other hand, if you added a receiver to your neighbor's account, then that is account stacking and against the rules.

OP: indeed you would have to gain consent from your neighbor, and also it would be best to work out in advance who does what should the dish or LNB or switch fail. You might also have to add an external switch if all internal switch (if they exist) receiver output ports are occupied. If your neighbor's dish is pole-mounted or fence-mounted near your property line, then this makes a lot of sense to me at least.

Here's a couple of reasons Dish's doesn't do it:

1 - as digiblur mentioned, this can cause a grounding problem.

2 - if the party with the dish moves out, the next tenant that moves in has the legal right to remove the neighbor's connection to that dish. Heck, they can dispose of the dish if they so wish.

can i get dishnetwork and not have to get my own dish but just use the neighbors?

Can you? Yes.
Should you? No.

You still have to buy/lease a receiver and you still have to create your own account. You also need the proper switch depending on the total number of satellite receivers being fed from one dish.

Other than aesthetics (for those that think the dish is ugly) there is no advantage to this. Any new subscriber will get a free install which includes the dish and proper switch for the number of receivers. The new customer deals are quite good.

There are a ton on negatives both on the technical and practical side which have been listed in the previous responses.

See ya
Tony

Well, from first hand knowledge I can tell you Dish won't allow it. An acquaintance was sharing a Dish with his mother-in-law who lived next ddor. Don't know the full story on how this came about and each had their own account. The acquaintance had to call for service about a year ago. When the service tech came out and he saw the situation he reported it to Dish. The parties were told each had to have their own antenna and that's the situation today.

First, let's assume the guy (who has not been back here since his first post), is not trying to rip anyone off. He wants to set up his own account.

Sure, he might as well get his own dish. But, what if he can't. Perhaps he in a condo and doesn't have a South side balcony. Or, adding another dish to the roof is too much of a PITA. Bottom line, I could see the reasoning for a multi-unit building.

This is kinda a stupid question but if my neighbor has a dish then can i get dishnetwork and not have to get my own dish but just use the neighbors?

don't do it..Just get your own dish And do not attempt to accont stack. That is get your own receiver connect it on your neighbor's account.

If he wasn't planning on it, why would he not just get his own set-up? Pretty all caps to me.

Because he has obstructions that prevents a clear line of site for one reason...

I thought we were innocent until proven guilty in the US lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts