Nesn Hd

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jpa25

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
I'm in Boston, our local sportsnetwork is NESN. They do broadcast the Red Sox, and Bruins in HD. However, I only get SD through D*. I've heard that YES and other local sports networks are simulcast in HD on other channels. Does D* do this for NESN HD?

Well that just suks. I would have to imagine its not a priority either.......Man I'm missing Comcast and their horrible customer service.

I imagine once they have HD spotbeams, they will start adding regional HD sports channels in addition to you locals in HD. When it all comes about is the question. I am thinking 1st Quarter 2006, but it may be later.

Several months ago I complained about that same issue to a CSR and she stated that NESN in HD was one of the channels they were planning on adding to the Boston market when the new satellites were operational.

I have sent emails to NESN several times and the most recent response which was a couple of moths ago was that it could happen in about a year but who knows.

I'm new, so its probably been covered but what is the *estimated* roll out timeframe for Boston HD locals & hopefully NESN HD?? When I signed up a two months back the CSR told me December, but I hear that is not the case.

jpa25 said:
I'm new, so its probably been covered but what is the *estimated* roll out timeframe for Boston HD locals & hopefully NESN HD?? When I signed up a two months back the CSR told me December, but I hear that is not the case.

Sometime on or after November 1st 2005
Boston is one of the 1st 12 markets of Local HD Planned

jpa, I live in Jacksonville, FL and get the YES HD games as part of my baseball package. I have to believe, especially with Red Sox nation all over the country, they have had a lot of requests for NESN HD. Not only that, but it carries the Bruins in HD as well, so it is a two for one. Given that national HD channels are few, and that D* has said they plan on having 150, the regional sports channels in HD are targets. I would think NESN is one of them. If I lived up there again (I am from Maine) I would get cable until the NESN HD and Fox HD channels are picked up by D*. I hope these are added sooner than later.

Keep in mind too that NESN-HD is pretty much owned and supported by Comcast. So negotiations may not be fun ;)

I remeber speaking with stephanie Campbell at D* about this a while back and she did say they think about adding it everyday but as well all know no room right now. I think we will see it some day

madpoet said:
Keep in mind too that NESN-HD is pretty much owned and supported by Comcast. So negotiations may not be fun ;)

It's owned by the Redsox and Bruins.

They have there own cameras and trucks. Also both stadium and area are wired.
All video is stored on Clarrion servers at NESN studios.
NESN

And FSNE is owned 50% by Comcast and 50% Cablevison/Voom RainbowMedia.

I emailed both D* and NESN within the last week and this is how it went:

Subject: NESN-HD

Directv:

Details: Will we ever be getting NESN-HD?

My zip is 06492 (Hartford-New Haven)

My cable company had it last year (Comcast), I would REALLY REALLY love to be able to see my Red Sox in HD.

PLEASE PLEASE
I am begging!

Mark

Response:

Dear Mark,

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry, but we don't carry NESN in HD right now. However, we often add programming based on customer requests, and we have forwarded your request to our programming department. Be sure and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our service.

Sincerely,

Rogie
DIRECTV Customer Service

Then NESN:

Please Please Make a Deal with Directv for HD.

Thats All

Thank you

Mark

Response:

NESN appreciates your interest in our high definition coverage of the Red Sox and Bruins home games. NESN and DirecTV have discussed carriage of these HD games. However, I have no information to offer at this time.

We will save your email and notify when more information is available about DirecTV distributing NESN's HD game coverage.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Keisha Hall
Customer Relations

That's it for what it's worth

Mark

madpoet said:
NESN is owned by them, yes. NESN-HD is seperate.

It's still owned by them, I know I asked when I tour the studio and server room, even got to sit in the same chair Dave Roberts used to view video of Mariano Rivera timing sequece to help steal second base last year in the final stages of the game for Games 4 and 5.

Comcast has it because they had the bandwith back in the day like alot of cable companies. Even though it's part time on Comcast, it's full time on Chater and others just pillar box for SD.

And now with the news of trying to do all Bruins home and away games in HD, I hope Comcast gives them a dedicated HD channel. Nesn's tv ratings have jumped 25%

My understanding could certainly be flawed, but I've been told many times that NESN-HD is funded almost entirely by Comcast. As a Cox subscriber in Hartford I actually get it on my InHD station instead, which I don't mind.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)