Asus 1.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 238
  • Eee PC.JPG
    Eee PC.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Eee 1.JPG
    Eee 1.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 219
I kinda want one of the Dell Minis, but dont know why.

Because you want to pay more for less? I picked up an MSI netbook back in November. It had more features than Dell for $150 less. So far, so good...

Today, the MSI is still about $60.00 cheaper, comes with 160 GB Hard Drive (instead of 16 GB Solid State Drive), 6 Cell Battery instead of 4 cell and a 10" screen vs. 8.9" screen. I had mine ready to be built, but Dell kept delaying the delivery date. I finally did some shopping and think I came out with a better deal.

http://www.buy.com/prod/msi-wind-u1...00-160gb-hdd/q/loc/101/209748034.html#cRevSec

my youngest daughter wanted one so she saved her birthday money and a few other dollars and bought the Asus Eee from buy.com. It was a refurb, and only $179. It's been great except it seems to be as slow as christmas. I don't know what the problem is with it. I though a solid state drive helped them run faster. Not this one.

my youngest daughter wanted one so she saved her birthday money and a few other dollars and bought the Asus Eee from buy.com. It was a refurb, and only $179. It's been great except it seems to be as slow as christmas. I don't know what the problem is with it. I though a solid state drive helped them run faster. Not this one.

I have the solid state drive model which I got from Best Buy. It is a bit slower than my wife's hard-drve Atom one; but not noticeably. I added a second gb of ram to it. For email and web it works great. Beyond that, its a dog.

I saw the price of a nice looking Acer laptop on Newegg... under $300 and it seemed perfect for typical PC usage and it had a full size screen and keyboard.

I have the solid state drive model which I got from Best Buy. It is a bit slower than my wife's hard-drve Atom one; but not noticeably. I added a second gb of ram to it. For email and web it works great. Beyond that, its a dog.

You're absolutely right. My daughter is 10 so the only thing she does is surf and e-mail. She spends time on slingo and bebo.

I've had a Dell mini 9 since Christmas, love it. 4 hour battery, great for internet.

I'm thinking about a new Toshiba unit, 10", little faster (667 FSB & 1.66ghz), 160gb HD (as opposed to my 16gb SSD now), most important though - 9 hour battery life!

Dell has a new mini 10 that has an ATSC TV tuner built in (just not practical unless you're in the city of a decent size DMA)

K-Mart sells those ARM processor netbooks for $149. They had them for $119 on Black Friday, they are called Delstar DS700 and the specs are like 600 Mhz, 128 MB ram, 2 GB HD and it runs Windows CE. The reviews of it were less than spectacular.

Those netbooks (minus the Delstar name) are being sold new on E-Bay for around $88 out of Hong Kong. So I guess one could say the $100 netbooks have arrived (or in Hong Kong).

it runs Windows CE.

Windows CE??? Stay away!!!
It's not compatible with Windows! Windows CE is an old predecessor of Windows Mobile now commonly used in PDA phones.

The nice thing about Atom-based Netbooks is that they all run standard Windows XP or even 7. So, you can use most of the same software as on desktops or laptops.

Windows CE??? Stay away!!!
It's not compatible with Windows! Windows CE is an old predecessor of Windows Mobile now commonly used in PDA phones.

The nice thing about Atom-based Netbooks is that they all run standard Windows XP or even 7. So, you can use most of the same software as on desktops or laptops.

I posted the same info at a Linux forum and a poster said that there are Linux distributions that can run on ARM. These $88 Hong Kong E-Bay netbooks were a surprise since nothing was mentioned on the forums I been looking at, although the Delstar was mentioned.

Linux probably can run on anything. But what are you going to use it for with just 128 MB RAM, 2 GB HD?? Even phones have more memory these days...

I have a Dell Mini 9 which was about $300.00 when I bought it and it came with Ubuntu Linux. The computer is not offered anymore, and they went to the Mini 10" which is probably better. This computer came with the SSD which I don't like due to price replacement. For some reason the OS is hogging about all of this drive and I couldn't believe that Dell sold them that way.

I also have a HP Mini 10" which does have a regular drive and at 160gb it is a good machine and also has the 6 Volt battery instead of the 4 Volt. It has a camera, and speakers. This is the machine I take with me when I'm away from home. The computer comes with built in network card and works fine. I am still looking for a place to get a 64gb SSD to install Linux on for the Dell. They are very high right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts