Long Range WiFi Network

Sparky93

Original poster
Dec 16, 2009
Indiana
I got i 24dbi Andrew Grid antenna and a Linksys WAP54G access point. I want to send my DSL to my friends house where DSL is not avalable, which is about 3 miles away. I have the access point and grid antenna on a 40' tower. Will i need an amplifier or anything and what will i need at my friends house to receive the signal?

I used to have WiFi over about 3 miles. It requires LOS. I had a 35' antenna on top of my house pointed to a tower 3 miles away. The tower was on top of a 10 story building, fairly flat terrain. The antenna I had was about 3' long was essentially a rod with teeth up and down.

It fed into a regular wifi box, no special amplifier, go a 10mbit/sec connection (it was A standard at the time).

Could I use a 105 SuperDish with a USB WiFi adapter to receive at my friends house? There are a lot of trees between my house and my friends house.

For anything outdoors I would go with a pair of Ubuiqiti radios since they are cheap and have alignment lights on them. You can get those for $50-80 each and you need two of those. They are a bit more powerful than a standard linksys router. They are made to go for miles. There are some radios that I have been able to go up to 8 miles off of an access point and point to point links two to three times that distance.

You should check to see what other channels pop up when you search for other ap's (routers) in the area. AP stands for Access Point. When you find those select a channel that is not in use in the area. You will most likely see 6 used the most since it is selected by default on most routers. Try selecting the channel furthest away which is 1 or 11. If others are on that channel you should look and see how strong the signal is and the ones that have the weakest signals on those channels would be the ones to use if there are no free channels available. Best thing to do is list your results then we can help you select the right channel to prevent interference and help you achieve the highest throughput for maximum bandwidth.

Try selecting the channel furthest away which is 1 or 11. If others are on that channel you should look and see how strong the signal is and the ones that have the weakest signals on those channels would be the ones to use if there are no free channels available. Best thing to do is list your results then we can help you select the right channel to prevent interference and help you achieve the highest throughput for maximum bandwidth.

Thats the truth. Don't use 6 whatever you do LOL

We have our antennas up a 220ft tower and use Mikrotik equipment on the customer end. They work well when fitted into a good enclosure with built in antenna and have all manner of features, but you're looking at up to $200 an end when you start putting them together.

I can get signal off that tower up to nap of the earth using the right antenna, we have a dish one thats able to receive 20+ miles away.

I have heard good things about Mikrotik. If someone has an issue with trees then they could try 900 mhz as the price of the equipment has dropped quite a bit in the last few years but in some areas, there is a lot of interference in that spectrum as there is less space available in that frequency range. I am curious what else is going to be opened up in the near future. I already saw where 3.5 was opened up but has to be licensed with FCC (free to license but have to register each AP).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)