Netflix in Talks With Cable to Bring App to Set Tops

Thanks Poke interesting and I am surprised also they don't have it on most providers! :)

I can see why they haven't, and actually I'm shocked about this. They're basically including a competing service with their boxes. Cable has their own on demand service, so it seems odd that they'd offer one of their biggest rivals on their boxes. It'd be like Apple TV allowing Amazon Instant Streaming on their boxes.

I can see why they haven't, and actually I'm shocked about this. They're basically including a competing service with their boxes. Cable has their own on demand service, so it seems odd that they'd offer one of their biggest rivals on their boxes. It'd be like Apple TV allowing Amazon Instant Streaming on their boxes.

Why not? Apple TV already has Hulu and Netflix which compete somewhat. Maybe not as directly as a vod service like vudu and amazon.
Also, I see cable co's allowing this cause odds are the customer has HSI through them and Netflix streaming could be a revenue generator if people go over usage caps. So it's a free add-on to the cable co that could potentially generate revenue on the back end and not compete directly with their VOD rental service due to how long it takes for a title to make it to streaming catalog. I see it as a win-win for cable

It's probably just a bone being thrown to their subscription base in the hopes that they don't jump ship entirely and go strictly OTA and streaming. Sort of bowing to the inevitable but hoping for the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)