Netflix on PS3 goes 1080p and 5.1 DD

Finally got around to updating my PS3 and watched Stargate Continuum. WOW! the quality was really great. Nice to have the DD5.1 open up my sound stage in the HT. Video quality looked like the Blu Ray I have too. Can't complain about this uopdate at all. Looking forward to having it on the XBOX360 and the Roku as well ( Looks like we'll be getting my daughter a Roku for Christmas. That's what she asked for. Not sure I will buy one for here yet as the PS3 is doing fine.

Which UI do you have?

Apparently four or five different versions of the UI for disc-less Netflix app on the PS3 have been pushed. I have the one with the navigation on the right and that let's you preview the video you select in a small window before selecting full screen. Unfortunately, I lose the HD and 5.1 icons on content that offers it.
Here is a round up on Engadget: Netflix's new PS3 app includes new features, new headaches (video) -- Engadget

So I surmise that perhaps us PS3 users are just beta-testing UIs for the Wii and 360, the larger populations of console owners.;)

Finally got around to updating my PS3 and watched Stargate Continuum. WOW! the quality was really great. Nice to have the DD5.1 open up my sound stage in the HT. Video quality looked like the Blu Ray I have too. Can't complain about this uopdate at all. Looking forward to having it on the XBOX360 and the Roku as well ( Looks like we'll be getting my daughter a Roku for Christmas. That's what she asked for. Not sure I will buy one for here yet as the PS3 is doing fine.

I updated yesterday but have not gotten around to watching with it yet. Ill try it out soon, glad to hear that it seems to be an improvement.

Anyone else notice that the picture seems darker using the new netflix app?
I only used it for a few minutes, and will check again later, but the same show on the PS3 seemed much darker than on the XBOX. Before this was not the case, and I have not changed any tv settings.

I was talking about the Xbox update in regards to ESPN. They are adding that to the console first of November.
That said, I can use playon to watch ESPN3 through the PS3.
I knew you can through playon.

Do you know if they are also adding ESPN to the PS3 anytime soon?

I like this UI a lot, moreso than the 360s, but best part is not having to manage user profiles and stuff to get to it, since we only have 1 PS3.

Hopefully this is the same UI that's coming to the 360, and eventually GoogleTV as well.

I THINK it is a 360 exclusive. For the near future anyway.

I don't remember seeing that there is any contract about it being exclusive, so it won't stop Sony from getting it. I just think Microsoft did it first.

I don't remember seeing that there is any contract about it being exclusive, so it won't stop Sony from getting it. I just think Microsoft did it first.
I will have to look where I saw that. I am fairly sure that they mentioned it when they put the teaser video out on the 360 a few months ago. I may be incorrect though.
I hope sony adds it too however.

Anyone else notice that you only get good quality for HD stuff when you set it to 1080p? I don't know if this was a 1-time fluke, but I was watching Arrested Development (Great show BTW) and noticed it looked like crap. I looked at the info (press SELECT on the PS3 controller) and it said it was broadcasting in SD when it should have been in HD. When I bumped the PS3's resolution up to 1080p (sometimes I leave it on 1080i when I have to swap tv's) THEN it switched over to HD.

I haven't been able to get it to say anything but 5CH Stereo on my Denon with the PS3s Netflix except for when I manually set it on the console and then I think it was showing 5.1 Dolby or whatever even at the menu so was probably just the console faking it. Guessing this might be only available on the newest of additions to watch instantly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)