Netflix - Pink Screen of Death (Hopper 3) - LG OLED

theoak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Idaho
Just got a new LG OLED TV. OLED65E6P to be exact.

It is about a 50/50 chance whenever I kick off Netflix the Hopper 3 pink screens. I unplug the Hopper, wait 10 seconds, plug it back in, and all is good.

I have tried HDMI CEC on and off (both on TV and Hopper 3) thinking that maybe it was an HDMI syncing issue. It did not seem to help. I do notice that watching normal satellite my TV reports the signal as 1080i. When watching Netflix through the Hopper 3 my TV reports the signal as 2160p. Interesting thing is that I do not subscribe to the 4K Netflix package so I found it interesting that the Hopper (or Netflix app) was sending a 2160p signal.

Under remote control setting I can "select" my TV. However, my TV is not listed if I look for it specifically. So I let it pick one for me. Not sure if this setting impacts things or not.

The Netflix app on the TV seems to be fine. It reports the stream coming from Netflix as 1080p, my subscribed rate.

My older TV, also an LG did not have this problem at all. It was 1080p only however.

Help? Tips? Ideas?

Edit:

My apologies in advance as I did not know if this should be put in the Hopper forum, or TV, or general Dish. I did not want to post the same post "everywhere", so this is the one I picked ;)

Ah, perfect. I am not the only one. Misery loves company I guess :(

Your issue describes mine exactly.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Edit:

From the base it looks like yours is the G series? Nice.

I will add however I do not get the 1/4 screen issue. It is like the H3 goes back to 1080 mode, but still outputs 2160. It is like the Netflix app locked the video settings.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I just got an LG OLED65B6P and I'm not having the pink screen issue when switching to Netflix. I tried going in and out of Netflix about a dozen times without a single pink screen hiccup. Latest firmware on TV and AV receiver and U336 on Hopper 3.

I do route HDMI through my Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 AV receiver though so this may be masking the problem.

Netflix initially comes up in 1080 (i I think, but it's pretty quick), then switches to UHD if the TV supports that rate. I suspect that's when the pink screen occurs.

You might check your cable to make sure it is NOT "Standard Speed". Or just try another cable to rule that out. Most "High Speed" HDMI cables under 10' will work at UHD rates. Longer cables may have issues although I have a 35' cable between AV receiver and TV that's working OK

I did get a brand new HDMI 18 Gbps rated bla bla bla - 6 foot.

I am also told that the LG B's use different chip sets than the C/E/G 2016 models. Your AVR as stated may be masking it too.

I would be curious what would happen if you were to hook your LG B directly to your H3.

I need to check my H3 version.

Thanks for the report.

Turning the TV on and off seems to do the trick for now. Definitely seems to be the Netflix app as it switches the TV from 1080 to 2160.

My firmware is U334. Maybe when I get U336 that will fix things.

Swapping the TV out for a Samsung ... I almost pulled the trigger on a Samsung ... then I saw OLED.

H3 U336 seemed to do the trick for me. No issues since I did the manual update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same problem with my 4K Hopper using an LG65UH9500. Not only is this a frequent problem with Netflix 2160P causing a pink screen, it is also a problem with YouTube which is 1080i. Sometimes when opening the multi-view 2160P, it causes a pink screen and/or HDMI signal loss.

I've done much troubleshooting and nothing has fixed this problem. the LG 65UH9500 is on firmware version 4.30.95. Using the 665UH9500's Netflix app and YouTube app on is problem free. The problem is with the 4K Hopper.

I subscribed to Netflix 4K package, the Hopper Netflix always opens in 2160P.

There must be a solution to the problem and I think that Dish Network and LG need to get their engineers in touch with each other so to fix this problem.

When the pink screen occurs I either power off and back on the 65UH9500 or disconnect the HDMI 2.0 cable between the two devices.

I don't have any other 4K external devices to test on the 65UH9500 but have read that there is a like problem when the 4K Roku is used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)