Netflix Plans to Raise Prices for New Members

I don't really watch Netflix much myself, but my wife and daughter watch it a lot. A dollar or two increase wouldn't really bother me, especially if they added new content. Be interesting to see how long the ''generous time period'' for grand-fathering of existing customers on current prices is.

9.99 is a good price point. I am surprised that it has not rose before now and that it was offered for as low as 7.99.

I remember when they rose the price significally in order to keep the services you had the same. They new it would anger everyone but did not care. Did I expect this price to stay the same forever, no, but that does not mean I have to be happy about yet another increase while seeing a reduction in programming choices. Sure they can boost an increase, but when they lose quality programming and gain garbage it's still a loss in my book.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Last edited:
Well, it kind of already went up for many of us. To get the same basic functionality I had before I now pay $11.99 instead of 7.99
No big deal to me, as I do utilize the service alot.

Glad that they are letting current subs stick with current prices for the time being.

It's still well worth that price to me. The price has been the same for a long time and at $10 per month it's still a very good value.

Yeah no matter what you do for your service just streaming or paying a TV Provider they will always find a way to make up their money no matter what you do. Until people stand up against the over paid actors and actress guilds as long as the movie studios and the networks keep over paying them we will always be the ones to pay for it in the end.

Didn't Netflix just announce better than expected revenue? And this gives them an excuse to raise rates? :eek:

Hey, it's still $10 and this is the first increase in 3 years. I'll take that business model over the yearly $5 increase plus ridiculous equipment fees that the cable/satellite providers are getting away with any day.

Yes, Netflix and Amazon Prime both decided to raise their prices recently but neither service has touched their rates in a long time. They are still a good enough value that I'm willing to keep both services active year round. If they ever get too out of hand they are similar enough that I would feel comfortable only subscribing to one service at a time. I definitely don't need to have them both at the same time now but their combined monthly cost is less than a pizza so it's not worth the hassle to flip flop yet.

Didn't Netflix just announce better than expected revenue? And this gives them an excuse to raise rates? :eek:
They have a lot of programing they will have to pay for, they will soon be the sole paid provider for all Disney content ( Disney, Pixar, Lucasfilms, Marvel ), they are doing a new deal with Epix and they want it to be a exclusive deal so no more on Amazon and Redbox, that will costs more, Dreamworks Animation is just now starting on Netflix, Turbo and The Croods are on now for example and they want to do a lot more new TV series. I still get better value from Netflix at $8-9 a month then HBO at $15-$20 a month.

Just a reminder, Netflix had the online viewing and DVD delivery together for 7.99. A defacto increase was made when they split the online and DVD into two businesses (netflix.com and Qwikster.com), and charged 7.99 for each. Many, including me, dumped netflix in Oct 2011; stock went from about $300/share to $66/share. They've have slowly regained many previous customers and/or new customers and price is now in $400 area.

I joined back this year (free month was given) and cut the cord. Once I've seen all I want, I'll drop them again for a while (a year or two, after they add more content that is of interest).

Just a reminder, Netflix had the online viewing and DVD delivery together for 7.99. A defacto increase was made when they split the online and DVD into two businesses (netflix.com and Qwikster.com), and charged 7.99 for each. Many, including me, dumped netflix in Oct 2011; stock went from about $300/share to $66/share. They've have slowly regained many previous customers and/or new customers and price is now in $400 area.

I joined back this year (free month was given) and cut the cord. Once I've seen all I want, I'll drop them again for a while (a year or two, after they add more content that is of interest).

Yeah but that increase was 3 years ago. They have held steady at $7.99 since then and are just now going to roll out a $1-$2 increase. How much has Dish/Directv/Cable increased their programing and equipment fees in those same 3 years?

Like you said though, Netflix makes it easy to sign up for a few months and then cancel once you have seen everything you want to see. If you are normally a Amazon Prime user but you want to see the new season of House of Cards and Orange is the New Black it only costs $8 to subscribe for a month to binge watch them.

That's one of the best things about these online services. You can use standard equipment like a Roku and add and drop services on a whim. No contracts and no DVR full of shows you haven't seen yet to send back. If you want to sign back up in 6 months everything will still be there waiting for you for the most part plus any new content they have added since you left.

Just a reminder, Netflix had the online viewing and DVD delivery together for 7.99.
It wasn't $7.99. It dropped to $7.99 for streaming only. Many people saw a price drop when Netflix made that change.
A defacto increase was made when they split the online and DVD into two businesses (netflix.com and Qwikster.com), and charged 7.99 for each. Many, including me, dumped netflix in Oct 2011; stock went from about $300/share to $66/share. They've have slowly regained many previous customers and/or new customers and price is now in $400 area.
Yeah, some people ran around screaming the sky was falling. Those people were eaten by a fox, and things returned to normal.

A $1 or $2 increase isn't that bad,as long as they keep rolling out quality series,it's worth the monthly price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts