Netflix unwatchable afternoons and weekends

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Jumps from less than SD to HD, then back again...both wired and wireless. 12Mbps on Uverse. I've read repeatedly that Comcast, AT&T and Verizon are throttling Netflix down. Well, I believe it, after going to HBO Go and Amazon which were both pristine for over an hour, each. Ready to cancel sub until something happens.

Yes, I know someone doesn't have the problem, so save it.

kittyhas1000legs

That's a lot of claws!
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Western Slope, CO
Are you in a populated area? Things tend to slow down in general on nights/weekends on my Comcast connection. When the students go home for the summer things speed up a lot at all hours (about 2 miles down the road from me).

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Are you in a populated area? Things tend to slow down in general on nights/weekends on my Comcast connection. When the students go home for the summer things speed up a lot at all hours (about 2 miles down the road from me).
Not really, outskirts of Indy. AND I am only 150yds from Hub.

Mochuf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 16, 2012
Michigan
Jumps from less than SD to HD, then back again...both wired and wireless. 12Mbps on Uverse. I've read repeatedly that Comcast, AT&T and Verizon are throttling Netflix down. Well, I believe it, after going to HBO Go and Amazon which were both pristine for over an hour, each. Ready to cancel sub until something happens.

Yes, I know someone doesn't have the problem, so save it.
Now that Netflix has signed a deal with Comcast, throttling shouldn't happen anymore.

Mochuf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 16, 2012
Michigan
Well, Good for comcast subs. I 'm Uverse.
Well you did mention Comcast in your rant. ;)

I dropped U-Verse years ago for cable internet. For me, it was a very good decision, especially when it comes to the "price to speed" ratio.

ronton3

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 21, 2007
The same happens to me on Centurylink dsl. Netflix is 1080p in the morning, 384/284/480sd at best in the evening.

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/128253

What appears to be happening is that Comcast, AT&T and Verizon are eager to kill off free, balanced peering exchanges and make more money by growing their own direct transit and interconnection businesses. As such they all quietly agreed to let their peering points saturate to the point where Netflix streaming on AT&T, Verizon and Comcast began to tank horribly, then demanded money directly from Netflix if they want the problem to go away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)