Network storage

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I bought a network hard drive, IOMEGA MHNDHD, and installed it on my home network. It is supposed to work with all PCs on the net. It doesn't. It comes with Retrospect Express, which loaded on the first PC (XP Pro) but did not on any others. And it's flakey on the XP machine. It also tries to load Mozy online backup (kinda dumb idea with this product) which in some places says it's free, other places list a monthly fee. It would seem the fee is correct. In no case do I want that loaded on any machine. Things don't always uninstall as promised.

Before I try to load this RE garbage on my new 64 bit W7 machine, I thought I'd ask opinions here.

-Give it a try with the "full" Retrospect s/w from their website?

-Try to load the Express version from the CD?

-Is there some other software that might work with this drive?

Or just toss the whole thing and find a better solution?

Looks like the problem is the Home Storage Manager software. It's locking on No Devices found, and will not allow me to configure. The Retrospect (backup) & Mozy are just canards.

If all else fails...... Well, I should be able to access it directly via IP, but the device is not visible. Will try cycling power later and see if it appears.

OK, now this is getting odd. I can see, but not access, the unit via add network place (won't add) on the XP pro machine. But under workgroup, where it's supposed to be visible, it isn't.

And it now appears on the W7 machine, fully assessable.

Tomorrow I'll see if my other computers can see it. Gotta shut everything down now.

IHMO, the full-blown version of Retrospect is a POS; I'd image a "Lite" version for home use would be lacking. You might try the demo of Acronis True Image Home 2010. Of course, if you have multiple clients, it might get a bit pricey.

Windows 7 seems to have timed backups built in. I use a Samsung 500 GB drive I have connected to my AirPort Extreme as the target.

Return the IOMEGA and get a HP Mediasmart Server. I've had mine for a year with no problems, installation and set up is simple (works with XP, Vista, Windows 7). I've currently have 5 computers connected to it, which back up nightly, plus share access to all common folders. Storage is only limited by the size of hard drives you install. Currently I have 4TB.
More info at Mediasmart home and mediasmart.net

Last edited:
The idea was just a central store of data for pictures and such. I have been using USB EHDs for backup. But I could see using the LAN storage for backup, maybe. The backup with Norton 360 v3 does not recognize it, though, so I might look at some other solution. Automated backup on a timer is of little use though, as I turn off my PCs when not in use. Or look into the W7 process as two of my machines, the most important ones, are now W7.

Too late to return it. Might look at the HP if I can't resolve this.

Have a look at unRAID.

Digital Media Storage Solutions

If you have an old computer and a couple of hard drives laying around, you can have a test box up and running in no time. Ive been using it for about a year now. I purchased the "Pro" version of the software and I have about 12TB of storage online. With 2TB drives (and the case I have), I can put about 28TB of online storage in this one server.

I access unRAID from every computer at home for all my media storage. I also have a BackupExec server at home that has its own storage, but copies a backup monthly to the unRAID server.

I just got a networking printer and think its pretty cool. I am sure you want to be able to access the hard drive like you do a networking printer.

Software issues are the pits. I'd do what sonic2000 says. I have had issues with running hardware due to software. It does not matter how good the hardware is, if the software is not up to snuff, then you cannot get the full potential out of the hardware.

The one thing I remember the most was a usb external hauppauge tv tuner that allowed me to watch and record tv to my computer. It did what it was supposed to do but the software was so hard to deal with and it seemed like a struggle to even get help from manufacturer. I promised myself never to get that brand again and I traded it off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts