Looking for a new router / access point

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I have had a Linksys router (BEFSX41) and a WAPG54 Access point for quite sometime, and I am now routinely having to go down to the basement to reset the router, a few times per week. I finally have a new Wireless-N laptop, and was thinking about upgrading.

Ideally I would like a router (with at least 4 ports) and wireless-N access point all built in, as it would be nice not having to have the access point in the kitchen (the only way I can get access throughout the entire house -- the router is in the basement, as is the cable modem, and the whole-house network ports). I was looking online at some of the Cisco/Linksys stuff, i.e., [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AZ01EO/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p23_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0HD67DH0P8W40YGTQF3G&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846"]Amazon.com: Cisco-Linksys WRT610N Simultaneous Dual-N Band?@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rgY5rjqjL.@@AMEPARAM@@41rgY5rjqjL[/ame] from Amazon.

But the reviews on Amazon and on Best Buy are filled with complaints of people having regular drop-outs in service. Its a shame, as the router has the ability to connect an external Hard Drive to it for NAS, which would be very nice.

I am curious what people would recommend for a good solid home network setup. I have used Linksys for years, and generally have had few problems. I also have two or three switches from them that I am using as part of the network.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

If your network setup allows it and used devices require it - keep a separate router/AP for each wireless standard (a/b/g/n).

I have been through over a dozen brand/models including the complete Linksys line, but no one of them beats a multi-router/AP setup in terms of reliability.

Also, USB/network attachable storage products from Linksys and D-link I've seen were a joke.

Diogen.

I agree with keeping your router separate from your wireless access point. That way, you can upgrade/not upgrade either as you see fit.

I recently purchased a D-Link DIR-825. I'm using it only as an Access Point, and not as a router. So far, I'm pretty pleased with it. I have had it two weeks now and I have not had to reboot it (as I expect with any network equipment). That's why I do not buy Linksys/Cisco. I consistantly get 110-130 Mb/s using the Dell 1510 dual band card built in to my Mini 10.

I used to be a fan of Netgear "blue box" stuff (their "pro" line.) That was until they refused to honor a warranty that they already agreed to honor.

I never cared for Cisco/Linksy but Dlink was pretty good with each lasting a little over a year. I use Netgear now and have managed to keep the same router for almost 2 years.

I set up a wireless system for a friend about two years ago using two N routers from Netgear. The model I used isn't being manufactured anymore but appears similar to their vertically oriented models that are boxy looking. They were about $120 each. The similar models at Newegg look to be about $99 now.

The router itself is in the home, high up in a room near the peak of the roof. It is next to a window with a clear line of sight to his workshop which is about 300 ft. away. The second unit which is being used as an access point is inside the shop high up close behind the wooden siding.

I mention all this because in all this time the setup has performed without a hitch. (Knock on wood.) Not one single phone call from him with a problem. Additionally, he has at times numerous large car hauling trailers parked between the house and the shop. While they don't interfere with the line of sight, I was concerned that they might interfere with the signal. This turned out to be a non-issue.

I of course have no idea if their current line of products is as reliable as those I used.

Last edited:
I have a DLink dgl4300 which I love. It has built in stuff for port forwarding for stuff like Xbox Live and such.

I never cared for Cisco/Linksy but Dlink was pretty good with each lasting a little over a year. I use Netgear now and have managed to keep the same router for almost 2 years.

I like linksys. I have a wrt320n with dd-wrt on acting as a repeater bridge and a wrt54gl configured a repeater bridge both connected to a d-524 sharing dsl.

linksys is good ever since cisco bought.

I have had a Linksys router (BEFSX41) and a WAPG54 Access point for quite sometime, and I am now routinely having to go down to the basement to reset the router, a few times per week. I finally have a new Wireless-N laptop, and was thinking about upgrading.

I currently use a D-link wireless N router. After I bought my son the wireless N netbook, we started having a lot of problems with dropouts. Adding the netbook mant that we had 4 computers connecting through the wireless link.

I removed my old windows laptop, and the problem went away. I would guess that the micro in the router doesn't have enough capacity to handle 4 devices plus routing.

I had the high device count because I am renting and didn't want to string wires. I've kind of decided to bite the bullet though and run a wire to the bedroom (assuming I don't have to move in the next few weeks). As an added bonus, I will then be able to connect the BR and HD-DVD players for the online content.

You might also check to see if there are software updates for your routers. If an update fixes the dropout problem, you just saved yourself some cash.

On the home front I use a Cisco (real cisco not linksys) router and a dlink wifi AP and have never had to reset either of them in about 2 years of use.

I know a lot of you do not like Belkin. I am not much of a fan either. One Sunday the old router died and Carol could not use her laptop. I ran down to Wally World which was closest to me. They didn't have much of a selection. I bought the Belkin N+ model # F5D8235-4. At the time I was thinking I will return it Monday and go to BB. After installing the it using their install cd the thing worked but was slow connecting to the internet. I called their tech support which was fast by E* standards but not much help. I have a static ip address that just blew their mind, telling me I didn't have one. (It was given to me free when I signed up with bellsouth 6.0) I wound up on a conference call with them and bellsouth tech support. Those two got into an argument. I am really confused by now. I wound up with the recommendation from bellsouth changing the router settings manually. Thing worked well after that. I became lazy and never returned it. Works well with no dropouts. Carol takes her laptop all over the place with a solid connection. I never liked the way it stood up vertically so I was able to carefully without breaking it (with some persistence )remove the stand and place it horizontal.

Attachments

• 100_3815.JPG
    100_3815.JPG
    340.5 KB · Views: 230
Take a look at Ubiquiti products. They are pretty cheap and have great power / great range with lots of features. This is what some of the wireless internet providers use.

I know a lot of you do not like Belkin. I am not much of a fan either. One Sunday the old router died and Carol could not use her laptop. I ran down to Wally World which was closest to me. They didn't have much of a selection. I bought the Belkin N+ model # F5D8235-4. At the time I was thinking I will return it Monday and go to BB. After installing the it using their install cd the thing worked but was slow connecting to the internet. I called their tech support which was fast by E* standards but not much help. I have a static ip address that just blew their mind, telling me I didn't have one. (It was given to me free when I signed up with bellsouth 6.0) I wound up on a conference call with them and bellsouth tech support. Those two got into an argument. I am really confused by now. I wound up with the recommendation from bellsouth changing the router settings manually. Thing worked well after that. I became lazy and never returned it. Works well with no dropouts. Carol takes her laptop all over the place with a solid connection. I never liked the way it stood up vertically so I was able to carefully without breaking it (with some persistence )remove the stand and place it horizontal.

why not go with a router that supports dd-wrt. dd-wrt lets change the wireless
power and lots more.

dd-wrt basically adds $600 features to inexpensive routers

why not go with a router that supports dd-wrt. dd-wrt lets change the wireless
power and lots more.

dd-wrt basically adds $600 features to inexpensive routers

English please. Not a network guy, and have no clue what dd-wrt is.

Although a google search suggests it is a third-party firmware you use to replace a consumer router?

I am using an Asus WL-520gU that I flashed with DD-WRT. Works great. I was able to boost the TX power from the 32mw that my old D-Link had to 200mw. We now have a wireless signal throughout the house. You can also flash the Asus with Tomato firmware and use the USB port for a printer. Some have also had success using the USB port for NAS with Tomato.

English please. Not a network guy, and have no clue what dd-wrt is.

Although a google search suggests it is a third-party firmware you use to replace a consumer router?
Yes, DD-WRT is an open source firmware replacement for many routers. It unlocks many of the features of the processor chip that the router manufacturer may have disabled. There is a database to search for compatible routers. Tomato is another open source firmware replacement that many use. Here is another source for info on firmware for Linksys routers.

Link to DD-WRT supported devices page.

Last edited:
Sometime in the next couple months I'll be setting up a wireless router with DD-WRT so I can create a site-to-site VPN. I need this so I can securely access my home network from my vacation home, and also have a separate network in my vacation home that appears to be part of my home network. One endpoint will be an ASUS wireless router running DD-WRT, the other end will be a low-powered Atom-based Win XP server that normally controls my R5000. Both will be running OpenVPN (OpenVPN is part of the DD-WRT firmware).

If you want to do a site to site VPN then go with the Ubiquiti products as they only start at around $50. This is the type of product that you can go for miles. The antenna has a lot more gain and you can set them up as a client or an access point. A router will only allow you to set them up as an access point unless there is software I do not know about that allows them to become a client. I know that you can do ad hoc with them but having an access point and client would be better. There are some radios that allows you to set them up in point to point mode (I am not talking about routers).

Sometime in the next couple months I'll be setting up a wireless router with DD-WRT so I can create a site-to-site VPN. I need this so I can securely access my home network from my vacation home, and also have a separate network in my vacation home that appears to be part of my home network. One endpoint will be an ASUS wireless router running DD-WRT, the other end will be a low-powered Atom-based Win XP server that normally controls my R5000. Both will be running OpenVPN (OpenVPN is part of the DD-WRT firmware).

There's also the VPN version of the Tomato firmware. Been running Tomato for while and love it. Have it setup to log my bandwidth to my HTPC.

Code:
Date	        Download	Upload	Total 
2009-11	46.99 GB  	 8.45 GB	55.44 GB
2009-10	186.35 GB	11.34 GB	197.69 GB
2009-09	0.42 GB	        0.59 GB	1.01 GB
2009-08	85.94 GB	        4.28 GB	90.22 GB
2009-07	69.83 GB	        5.62 GB	75.45 GB
2009-06	82.00 GB	        7.70 GB	89.70 GB
2009-05	133.40 GB	9.77 GB	143.17 GB
2009-04	83.80 GB	        7.03 GB	90.83 GB
2009-03	55.19 GB	        8.31 GB	63.50 GB
2009-02	24.14 GB	        1.00 GB	25.14 GB

D-Link DIR-628. Had trouble finding a good router to work with an old PC game I play (Age of Kings, Conquerors Expansion). With this router I didn't have to worry about port forwarding, exceptions, etc. Has been working great for about a year now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)