Good Quicktime Editor / Converter for Windows?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
I recently got a Kodak HD camcorder, but unfortunately I didn't realize that it uses Quicktime to make videos, and sadly my options for doing even simple video editing are almost non-existant (as a PC user.) The MediaImpressions software that came with the camera is severely lacking and can't even properly cut sections out of a video, and I really do NOT feel like having to pay for a software solution that costs almost as much as the camcorder itself did (I got it refurbished off Woot.com.)

The way I see it I have 2 options:

1. Get a free or low price Quicktime editing program.

2. Get a video converter and convert the .mov files to .avi format, where I can edit the video with virtualdub and others.

Does anyone have any suggestions for either of these options?

The QuickTime 7 format (*.mov) is a container of essentially H.264 encoded video and AAC audio.

I don't think there are open-source H.264 editors available yet comparable with the commercial offerings.

Diogen.

I'm trying out Premiere now. As with most Adobe products you need to go through a tutorial just to learn how to open up a video file. Still, it may be worth investigating and learning about, and I'm pretty sure I can pick up a suite copy at a student/teacher discount. Hell you get Premiere and Photoshop and more for like $400..

I'm still open to more economical solutions though..

I have used Premiere quite a bit. It does have a steep learning curve, but once you have it down you can pretty much do anything. There is a suite that bundles in special effects and the DVD/Blu-Ray disk authoring software (Encore).

I took my digital tapes and made DVDs out of them pretty easily with scene transitions, and titles to describe it all.

QuickTime Pro is $30 and allows you to convert to different formats (but not WMA).
I considered that, but A: I'm not a fan of QuickTime, and B: The reviews for it haven't exactly been stellar (I think it has less than 2 1/2 out of 5 stars on Apple.com.)

There's a few freeware solutions I'm considering. I've almost got it to work in VirtualDub but I can't get the video to display (just audio comes out.)