Good Quicktime Editor / Converter for Windows?

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
I recently got a Kodak HD camcorder, but unfortunately I didn't realize that it uses Quicktime to make videos, and sadly my options for doing even simple video editing are almost non-existant (as a PC user.) The MediaImpressions software that came with the camera is severely lacking and can't even properly cut sections out of a video, and I really do NOT feel like having to pay for a software solution that costs almost as much as the camcorder itself did (I got it refurbished off Woot.com.)

The way I see it I have 2 options:

1. Get a free or low price Quicktime editing program.

2. Get a video converter and convert the .mov files to .avi format, where I can edit the video with virtualdub and others.

Does anyone have any suggestions for either of these options?

The QuickTime 7 format (*.mov) is a container of essentially H.264 encoded video and AAC audio.

I don't think there are open-source H.264 editors available yet comparable with the commercial offerings.

Diogen.

I'm trying out Premiere now. As with most Adobe products you need to go through a tutorial just to learn how to open up a video file. Still, it may be worth investigating and learning about, and I'm pretty sure I can pick up a suite copy at a student/teacher discount. Hell you get Premiere and Photoshop and more for like $400..

I'm still open to more economical solutions though..

I have used Premiere quite a bit. It does have a steep learning curve, but once you have it down you can pretty much do anything. There is a suite that bundles in special effects and the DVD/Blu-Ray disk authoring software (Encore).

I took my digital tapes and made DVDs out of them pretty easily with scene transitions, and titles to describe it all.

QuickTime Pro is $30 and allows you to convert to different formats (but not WMA).
I considered that, but A: I'm not a fan of QuickTime, and B: The reviews for it haven't exactly been stellar (I think it has less than 2 1/2 out of 5 stars on Apple.com.)

There's a few freeware solutions I'm considering. I've almost got it to work in VirtualDub but I can't get the video to display (just audio comes out.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)