Networking 2 or more devices away from router

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bbraune

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
I downloaded the latest CE software to my H21 receiver because I wanted to try out MRV. My H21 is in a different room than my router so I need a wireless solution to get the H21 networked. I currently have a Slingbox Solo connected to the H21 and the Solo is networked using a Netgear WGE111 wireless bridge. I was able to connect the H21 to my home network with it connected to the wireless bridge and MRV worked like a charm (after waiting several minutes for my HR20 to appear after hitting the LIST button).

My dilemma now is I need to be able to network both the H21 and Slingbox Solo at the same time and, like I said early, both are located together in a different room from the router. I tried connected both the wireless bridge, H21, and Solo to a 5-port ethernet switch, but after several attempts at troubleshooting, I’ve surmised that wireless bridge I have can only support one device at a time. I figure I have the following options:
  1. Purchase a second wireless bridge and connect it to the 2nd device.
  2. Purchase a different wireless bridge or other wireless networking device that can support my need of connecting 2 or more devices wirelessly with the help of an ethernet switch.
  3. Ditch the wireless bridge and purchase a powerline adapter to replace it. The 4-port Slinglink Turbo looks like it could be good solution, but I need to clear some room for non-powerstripped outlets.
If anyone has any other options or can provide feedback on current set-up and the options that I have listed, it would be greatly appreciated.

You can use an ethernet switch such as the Linksys EZXS55W with your bridge.

There are multiport wireless bridges available and some routers will support operation in a bridge mode, which would allow you to use it for this purpose. Also (if your router supports it) you could install the DD-WRT firmware in your spare router to allow bridging the connection.

so MRV is on CE boxes now?

that is one hold out my wife has about leaving cable/TiVo since we like to watch some shows in the bedroom or visa versa.

John

I have a very similiar setup. I use a Netgear WG602 tied into a 5 or 8 port switch. All of the devices hook up fine to the router. I use two WG602's and a non wireless router. You may want to see if your WGE111 has some updated firmware and also your router.

I have had issues with other wireless AP from different vendors at times. Some DLink models would work and others wouldn't.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)