networking a dvr in canada

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zcarguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
I wouldn't mind trying out Directv2pc and DOD -but wont do it unless I can hide the fact that I have a canadian ipaddress. is there any safe way of doing this?

Thanks,

Z

Dont connect the DVR to your internet, make it a Intranet.

How difficult is this?

Will the dvr still be connected and able to download VOD? What will my ipaddress show as?

Sorry for all the questions but dont know anything about intranet.

Thanks,

Z

Nope.. Intra net means internal network not generally connected to teh outside.. you can either have it download vod or not, but not both in your case.

arent proxies a pc software solution? I dont know how that could help me.

I guess I wont be able to try the newer features. My only hope would be that dtv wont care/check. Not worth risking losing service over.

Thanks,

Z

VPN solution

Hello

I am in the same boat

I would like to take advantage of the DOD and PPV but cant show my Canadian IP.

There is a place you can buy an American VPN and this works perfectly for my PS3. I can view and download videos. If I connect with my Canadian IP the video store is not there. It also works for my Iphone. Programs like Pandora will not work in Canada. I connect to my American VPN and it works perfectly.

all I have to do is plug it in to see but I just don't want to risk loosing it all just for DOD.

What do you guys think about this?

I am just afraid they could still tell some how.

Thanks for your help.

Does the company providing US VPN service also provide other services, like is it also an ISP for US customers? They couldn't tell by looking, unless they really cared and bothered to look for an obvious usage pattern (e.g. all accounts using this range of IP addresses are registered to post office boxes in border towns or something like that).

VPN service...

I use a VPN service called SurfBouncer for when I'm outside the United States. I end up with a Seattle-based IP address. I use their monthly plan, which just installs a small bit of software and has the added effect of allowing me to use sites such as hulu.com and tnt.tv. :D

They do have a VPN appliance, but the draw back is you have to pay for a whole year in advance. I don't know much about the company, but I have been using them for a little while now and I figure/hope they'll be around in a year...
SurfBouncer VPN Appliance

justen

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts